vodka dosing or bio pellets

fscbishop

been doing alot of reading on vodka dosing and how awesome it can be, can anyone tell me their personal experiences with vodka? also curious about bio pellets thought this may be a good alternative.

I know this is not a lazy man’s hobby, but I went the pellet rx route because no matter what I say, life gets in the way and I "sometimes" forget to dose whatever.

The advice I read about pellets is to start below the recommended amount of pellets and give it time.

If I remember correctly, you have a relatively small set up so dosing may be the better option for you.  Also, a good skimmer is a must.

I have a 40 breeder, 15 gal sump, with a reef octopus 110 skimmer. Will that be enough skimmer if not what do you recommend

What's your reason for wanting to carbon dose?

Again...... ????????????????????

Reason I ask is that there can be different approaches for what you may be trying to accomplish..

Edited by trockafella

I have a 40 breeder, 15 gal sump, with a reef octopus 110 skimmer. Will that be enough skimmer if not what do you recommend

I have no recommendation on a skimmer.  Specs say its oversized for your setup.  So I guess its fine. :why:

I think answering what you are trying to accomplish might generate some more input.

Trying to get phosphate and nitrates low as possible . Phosphates are .14 nitrates are like 5

PO is high bit I think your Nitrates are okay.  I would start with water changes, checking your source water, food type/amount.

I have an Avast MD5 Tall w/ a full bag of Brightwell pellets.   You wouldn't know it by looking at it (battling some nutrient loaded rock and sand from my old tanks), but my tank is where nutrients go to die.  :cool: