New Tank, Old Sump, Cycle???

Oprah Wrangler

Hey All,

Before you ask, I will post pictures tonight. :tongue:

I converted my 30 gallon breeder over to a 58 gallon Oceanic on Sunday.  I used all the old rock, all of the old sand, and all the old water from my 30 breeder.  The sump that I was running on my old tank is also a 30 breeder.  I left the sump untouched(old water (25 gallons), old sand, old everything) and just plumbed the new tank in and turned on the flow.  All that being said, should I expect a cycle?

Thanks for your input,

Andre

I would say no but still keep checking to confirm. If you have some hardy fish I would keep them in the new tank to keep the biofilter active or keep adding small amounts of food. With no ammonia present the bacteria could decrease in population.

You will see some spiking, probably not a full cycle, but moving the sand will have stirred up nitrates in it.  I would say keep an eye on it for a week or so before adding the more sensitive fish/corals, etc

How much new rock/sand did you add if any? You should be fine except for the excess nitrates released from the sand.keep your eyes on it for the next day or so.

I would have some pre-mixed water on hand just in case you need to do a fast water change. How old was the existing sand bed?

I was thinking the same thing, so I have a 30 gallon brute full of ready water as needed.  The sand bed was may be a year old and it was about 1.5 inches thick.

How much new rock/sand did you add if any? You should be fine except for the excess nitrates released from the sand.keep your eyes on it for the next day or so.

I did not use anything new.  The only new item is the tank.

You will see some spiking, probably not a full cycle, but moving the sand will have stirred up nitrates in it.  I would say keep an eye on it for a week or so before adding the more sensitive fish/corals, etc

Thanks for the advice, I will monitor it closely.

I was thinking the same thing, so I have a 30 gallon brute full of ready water as needed.  The sand bed was may be a year old and it was about 1.5 inches thick.

That isn't really that old and not that deep so you should be fine.

after testing last night, all parameters are WNL save for NO3.  The results of that test are off the chart.  I am not sure a 50% water change will do the trick...lol  My plan is to leave the fish in the hospital tank and do a 50% water change tonight and another one on Saturday.  Hopefully that will make a dent in those dang nitrates.

If you didn't stress the rock/sand (eg, let it go anoxic) you likely won't see any cycling.  The bacterial populations are in place and ready to shift to do their job based on bioload... just don't add anything too quickly.