Here we go again! Holedup82's 75 Gallon FOWLR to MR Build

Okay so after meeting a bunch of members at FF I have decided to completely break down my 75 gallon FOWLR and start over to go Mixed Reef. The main reasoning is that my 29gal MR setup is too small and I won't break it down since its the GF's fave tank however me being me it's not big enough. 

WARNING: Hideous 60's wallpaper and carpet present. 

Everybody out of 75 gal, most rock removed and in holding containers down stairs

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/holedup82/75%20Gallon%20Conversion/null_zps982a73ac.jpg

Tank Moved and being cleaned

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/holedup82/75%20Gallon%20Conversion/null_zps7a9e251c.jpg

When you add links, use the IMG link code and paste it in. That will bring your pics up when people view. Your middle link is broken, couldn't fix that for you. Looking good!

null_zps982a73ac.jpg

null_zps38a68839.jpg

Is the top just particle board? I would add a piece of wood, maybe a 2x4 across the front, set back a couple of inches, to help support the top span to prevent any sagging.

Planning on drilling. When I was looking at stands (I'm not the best carpenter) this one actually had another particle board partition basically where the middle back piece ends. Wanted to recreate the stability without having a full wall.

• 2 weeks later...

75 is clean and waiting to be drilled. I have a 20L laying around....big enough for a DIY Sump? The footprint of the 20L is perfect for the stand after the mods I made. I do have about 2 more inches deep I could utilize but length is perfect and anything taller i feel might make it hard to do maintenance. I also have an acrylic sump I could use  as well. 

Dimensions:

Space available - 31"L x 16"D x 25.5"H

20L -  30.25"L x 12.5"D x 12.75"H

Acrylic Sump - 20"L x 12"D x 18.25"H

Not sure of the volume of the Acrylic sump going to fill it this weekend and find out.

(edited)

The acrylic is alomost 20 gallons also...I'd go with the 20l and if you can set up a fuge or use the acrylic beside the tank for an ATO box?

Good call wonder if i would be able to set up the Acrylic sump to be split and use as a dual ATO on half going to the 75 and the other going to my 30?

Edited by holedup82

Sounds good...I personally never do a specific fuge section in small sumps..usually t much flow...but if you could have a calmer corner or area for whatever you need if your doing chaeto or whatnot...

I could do that something BB with cheato I wanted to have somewhere for pods. I see a lot if designs online with the skimmer in the first section with the inputs from the over flows

75 is clean and waiting to be drilled.

Is that sticker on the bottom of the tank "tempered glass do not drilled". Double check before you drill it.

Yea it is unfortunately I was going to drill the back pane it was made in 95 and marineland 75s from 95 aren't tempered on the back however I'm guessing its marineland. But since we are on that topic anyone know what brand uses an anchor as a logo?

Yea it is unfortunately I was going to drill the back pane it was made in 95 and marineland 75s from 95 aren't tempered on the back however I'm guessing its marineland. But since we are on that topic anyone know what brand uses an anchor as a logo?

Perfecto! I believed Marineland bought them out.

It might be tempered on the bottom only. There are a few ways you can check (not 100% sure though) Google it.

(edited)

Perfecto! I believed Marineland bought them out.

It might be tempered on the bottom only. There are a few ways you can check (not 100% sure though) Google it.

You tube has a ton of videos on ways to check to see if you glass is tempered or not! Will check this evening!

Edited by holedup82

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here's the build update. Picked up a used skimmer this weekend, and got the footprint figured out to measure out spacing on baffles for the sump. Had a dog have 5 seizures Monday night into Tuesday, dropped $300 at the vet Tuesday so all work is on hold until next payday. I still haven't tested the back pane of the tank to see if it is tempered or not. Need to snag some 3D glasses from work (the wonders of teaching science to elementary schoolers). Ordered a Seneye in the forum sale posted a few weeks ago, FEDEX says it will arrive today, going to set it up on the 29 and see how it works. Maybe I'll even post a review in a few days. Sorry for the rant.

Well....good luck with all that, and I hope they figured out what's wrong with your puppy?

Thanks, she's 8, and has had 2 cancerous growths removed. They said maybe brain tumor so setting up a neurologist appt.

On tank notes having some issues with setting up the seneye, trying to run it on my 30 till the 75 is done. The seneye connect software isn't letting me get past putting in my email. Support has been contacted!