Help, need a new shaft for my sicce 2500

Integral9

Was cleaning my skimmer and I noticed that the pump stopped running after a while.  when I took it apart the shaft came out in 3 peices.  Anybody / LFS have one?  The soonest I can get one online (w/out paying rediculous shipping) is friday the 26th, no matter if I order today or Sunday.  

I might try that. At least for a temporary solution. Another option I read about is to get a stainless steel rod and do the same.

Anyone know of any hobby stores near sterling? The one in Dulles town center closed.

A local hobby shop may have 3.6mm carbon fiber rod. Cut it 3.5" long, but be aware that carbon fiber is tough on saw blades.

I've done this on PSK2500s. Worked just fine. I had to cut it with a cut off wheel on a Drexel though to get a nice cut. I still have extra carbon fiber rod if you need it.

(Sent from my phone.)

Yeah, a carborundum cut off wheel would probably work.  I've heard using a clean razor blade and just rolling it back and forth with some pressure will give a nice clean end.

Yeah, a carborundum cut off wheel would probably work.  I've heard using a clean razor blade and just rolling it back and forth with some pressure will give a nice clean end.

Tried it but the stuff is just so darned hard. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Forrest, I picked mine up at Hobby Hanger in Chantilly (they're just a little ways off Rt 50 near 28). Take the old shaft with you or measure it with a micrometer or something accurate just in case the rod there is all in English measurements.

Thanks I'll see if I can get over there tomorrow. For now the pump is working on about 1/2 a shaft. It's a little noisier than normal though. I keep checking it though expecting it to fail.

Forrest, are you planning on making it to FragFest? I've got about 14 inches of 3.2 mm carbon fiber rod that I can give to you (I just dragged it out). It's what I used to make replacement shafts for my old PSK2500's when a ceramic shaft failed.

You too Tom.   I wish we had some time chat, but my boy was ready to go home and mom was waiting. 

Thanks for the carbon fiber rod and all the work you did for FF.   I think it went very well.  My boy had a good time too.  He really liked watching the coral get sawed up.