Bean Animal on braced acrylic tank

Tink

I'm working on setting up a Clarity Plus 180, that is braced around the entire top (like a solid top with some access holes cut in it) and would like to do a Bean Animal drain. The issue is that the inner box will be pretty much unaccessible due to it being under the top bracing, and that could be an issue if something were to get in there. The only idea I've been able to come up with thus far is to make the inside box it's own self contained removable unit, so if there were to be an issue I could remove it (which stinks because I'd have to plan my rock, and coral placement around being able to remove the box).

Anybody have a better idea?

Here is a picture of the top of the tank for reference

photo 2

photo 1

Cut a slot in the top of the back and glue a box on the outside of the back with holes drilled on the bottom for drains. External overflow box. I guess youd plug the existing internal holes on the bottom or use em for a closed loop.

Can you have an outside box attached to the tank? Drill several large holes so water can flow from the display to the outside box then down the Bean's.

What's the general consensus on that slot size and location? I imagine a 1/2" slot an inch from the top? I'm also curious about the length of the slot and it's impact on the support provided by the back pane of acrylic.

As for the holes in the bottom here's the deal, the previous owner had glued a bottom closed loop into. The connectors were damaged, and I opted to remove them from the tank by using a 3" hole saw to drill them out. I'm now left with 4 3" holes in the bottom of the tank that I'd like to permanently seal. I have some 1/4 acrylic that I can use to make patches, and wanted to know which glue or solvent would be best suited to seal these up? I was thinking something strong due to the 2 side holes being pretty close to the corners, and I'd hate to see any cracks develop down the road. Also, what's the recommended gluing procedure (spread glue on the entire patch before laying it down, using solvent around the outer edge AND the inner lip of the hole itself, etc.)?

Can you have an outside box attached to the tank? Drill several large holes so water can flow from the display to the outside box then down the Bean's.

I can have an outside box if I have to, but was concerned with it impeding my ability to reach into the tank? The tank will only be accessible from the front and back, but the back being the preference (due to it being in-wall), and the top of the tank will be about 67" off the ground.

I would shot a PM to one of our sponsors, Adam, at Artfully Acrylic. He can hook you up with the proper way to seal the holes and probably even build the outside box for you. 

I would shot a PM to one of our sponsors, Adam, at Artfully Acrylic. He can hook you up with the proper way to seal the holes and probably even build the outside box for you. 

Already done :)

Especially since it is in the wall an external overflow seems perfect.

Could also try one of these type. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160311

Those are very interesting overflows