White leg hermit

So I purposely didn't put any hermits or any crabs in the 180. But I had ordered a huge snail crew and although I thought I double checked one got through inspection.. I saw it deep in the back if the tank and am contemplating taking it out and throwing it in the 75. But I have never seen a white legged hermit and am wondering if its even reef safe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (Calcinus laevimanus)
p-86551-crab.jpg

Did it look like this?

Ding ding ding we have a winner......this IS my ugly hermit.....so cool at least it's a safe one....I will see if he's a model citizen with the snails if not he gets booted to other tank with the few hermits in it already.

Thanks for the help!!

Personally I'm a non hermit guy. I have had these white legs before though and they seem to be no more or less agressive than the rest-though slightly bigger. standard rules apply: empty shells and stuff to eat...

If you are the no hermit type then you may as well toss it in with the others...

Good point. When I started the tank almost 10 years ago I loved them...fun to watch...then I realized they just eventually kill each other and all the snails....so the ones in the 75 have been in there for years now....they are big as golf balls and when they ever die (what the heck is there life span?? These are seriously like 4 or more years old) i wont replace and the 180 is a crab free zone....

I had a couple of white legs. Never had a problem and they are good cleaners. 

If one is into hermits, then I suggest white legs. They are fast and entertaining. 

I had a couple of white legs. Never had a problem and they are good cleaners.

If one is into hermits, then I suggest white legs. They are fast and entertaining.

Wow are they fast!!! And smart enough to run when it sees me coming to the back of the tank....it senses there aren't others in there lol and it plans on going nowhere ha ha.

I tried to go crabless, but there are always a few that hitchhike in my snail orders.  I'm way too lazy to sit there and look through the bag of snails before I put them in the tank.  Besides, what if I get pinched by one of those little serial killers?  I don't need my wife and kids to lose anymore respect for me than they all ready have due to my spider "issues".  No thanks bro...

Lol it is REALLY hard to go crabless those buggers show up somehow. When my snail order came in 4 months or so ago and I dumped them in I had like 3 "snails" that bolted across the tank ..lol they got pulled. In fact while I was grabbing them one of them hightailed it to a snail and attacked him in broad daylight lol...total murderers

hmm, this brings up a good point.  How would one go about introducing new snails to a DT without getting any possible parisites that may be in their water?  I'm not sure if reefcleaners has fish in their snail tanks.  But I'd like to be sure that I'm not putting ich back into my display with the new snails.  Maybe do the tank exchange method?  Or just wash them off with tank water in a strainer.

Is it really that noticeable, hermits eating snails and all? I have a bunch of both in both of my tanks and sure I see some empty shells here and there, but it's not like I don't still have a ton of snails. Actually, lots of baby snails too.