Schedule 80 valve and plumping

jefftse

(edited)

They're overkill and you can get by just fine with Sched 40. Lowes sells Sched 80. Sched 80 is best used on high pressure commercial applications. Most of the commercial work that I was doing on large retail pet stores used Sched 80 fittings because of thick (1.5") acrylic and 2hp pressurized systems.

Edited by zygote2k

I would agree with Rob.  If it's the look of sch80 you like, just use sch40 and paint it grey or black.  Yauger did an awesome job painting the plumbing for his sump.

interesting.. i always use schedule 40 but this big build.. everyone is recommending schedule 80.. i guess if it's not your money, you always recommend the best...

Schedule 80 is unnecessary. I am in the commercial pool business and have plenty of 200,000-500,000 gallon facilities that are running 10-20 hp pumps, pumping 500-1,200 gallons a minute at 30 psi through schedule 40. We rarely run schedule 80 except when plumbing heater manifolds.

So if you want to talk about big builds..... :)

I have 3 schedule 80 1 1/2" slip/thread I would sell you for $30.  One has been cut but if you cement a fitting onthe back end, it isnt going anywhere.

Cut one (obviously)

post-2632206-0-08028100-1371519442_thumb.jpg

I personally say, after plumbing equipment for hundreds of residential swimming pools......

Jandy 2way or 3 way valves (2"insidex2.5"outside) (or they also have 1.5" ID) are the best valves available on the market............(meant for swimming pools, however will work perfect with any pvc plumbing) (the never-lube version, no grease plug)

Better than any ball valve at home depot or lowes.

• 3 months later...

Piling on,

I'm looking for large diameter flex tubing

(its not for my tank, but maybe I'll bring it to a social sometime)

I'm thinking like 2" ID

It looks like SPA Flex isn't potable

is there anywhere to get clear vinyl that thick?

best deal i've found is getting in on a BRS group buy then using the 12-15% coupon on top that BRS sends out periodically. BRS sells all the sch80 you could want and anything incredible specific or unique you can find at flexpvc.com.

i'll go against the popular opinion in this thread - i do all my tanks in sch80. when it comes to pipe, it's obviously not needed but like some mentioned, it looks much better and painting isn't really an option for a clean look without fade or chipping/flaking. and i dont want paint chips (reef safe or not) in my system for valves, i always use sch80 on my builds because they work three years later exactly like they did the first time. i also like the flexibility that sch80 offers with offering both threaded and slip connectors when you need to transition from one to the other neatly without more fittings. the negative is that indeed it costs more but if any of the above matters to you, then perhaps you don't mind paying the premium.

i'm kind of surprised folks suggested it for you as i'd imagine most would follow suit with the guidance given above. there's really no need at all for it unless you're one of those meticulous, compulsive, neat-freak, maintenance-free appreciator kind of folks and i don't know too many of those ;)