Should I leave him in the sump?

MBVette

So I picked up a pair of rhomboid wrasses recently.  The first day both took a trip to the sump, one of them died.  The second day the one went to the sump twice and jumped out of the tank once (when I was putting him back in the display he jumped out before I got the screen on) and now this morning she is back in the sump again.

I have never had any fish do this, where they constantly are going into the overflow and down the stand pipes and am at a complete loss.  I leave today for vacation so I wont be able to keep checking her and moving her to the display.  Should I just leave her in the sump for a week while I am gone?  Im at a bit of a loss here.

Thanks!

that's a tough decision.  Do you have safeguards in the sump to prevent the wrasse from being injured or jumping?  if so, may not be a bad idea to keep him down there and have the tank sitter check on him.

Hmm didnt think about a lid down there.  No lid and no real way to put one b/c of the way the skimmer/reactors/plumbing are setup.  Im about to the point where I almost just want to sell her today and deal with getting another fish later.  I just dont have great hopes of her not jumping while Im gone.  This fish has a suicide wish in my tank.

Here is my overflow, The fish is just jumping through the egg crate.

Not a great picture, but the egg crate goes all the way up

overflow1.jpg

From there there is a strainer that she can get through b/c of the way I made it.  I want to order one of the premium aquatics flat strainers but for right now it is what it is.

wrasses are jumpers and rhomboids are smaller IMO more likely jumpers so if you dont take him out of the sump you will likely find it on the carpet and the jump more in the presence of aggression. is the fish being harassed?

(edited)

He has not stayed in the display for more than 20 minutes at any given time so I dont think he is being harassed but I cant really tell.  I have 3 other fairy wrasses in the tank that have never caused problems before.

Edited by MBVette

I just sold her.  Not worth her dying b/c I am going on vacation and cant keep a very close eye on her for the next week.  I'll try again sometime.

wrasses are jumpers and rhomboids are smaller IMO more likely jumpers so if you dont take him out of the sump you will likely find it on the carpet and the jump more in the presence of aggression. is the fish being harassed?

do you own one of these too? how do they get along with the flame wrasse?