A Green State of Mind

squiddly

Making progress towards eradication of the hair algae, and a bit with the cyanno, but the cyanno seems to be determined to come back and kick my butt.  I've been plucking it out as much as I can, and maintaining water quality, but it seems very happy to stay.  The new Tunze skimmer is kicking some serious butt, and even though the tank is low bio load, it's picking up a lot of icky stuff.

Meantime, it looks like my Aquapod 24 may be having some "issues."  The top of the tank (where the black rim is) seems to be leaking on both front corners.  The white streaks of dried salt tell the tale.  So, I have a question....  is it sensible to try to transfer everything into a new tank?  If I do that, do I just put down the sand from the old tank, put in the rocks from the old tank, and the water and fish (and filtration and other equipment obviously)?  Or do I have to go through the whole breaking in process with the water again?  

As always, your assistance is much appreciated.  And now back to your overly hyped weather forecasts :-)

If you reuse all the stuff from your established tank you will not have to go through another cycle.

Unless, for some reason, you decide to let all your rock sit out for a few weeks before putting it into the new tank.

Could it just be coming from splashing water? How long has the tank been set up. If kind of new then you are pretty good to go. If the sand bed is old you will want to clean/rinse the accumulated stuff out of it before putting it in a new tank. If you do see a cycle it will probably be fast and mild.

I also moved this to the "general" section where there is more traffic for you.

(edited)

Thanks, guys.  While I was pondering this, the dear husband bought some silicone and announced he'd "fixed it."  I wish he'd asked first and let me make sure the silicone was safe, but what's done is done.  So far, the critters seem ok.  

Still very interested in getting rid of cyanno.  I'll search through the archives and see what I can see.

Edited by squiddly

You should be fine with the silicone, I wouldn't worry about that.

How long has the tank been setup? If you keep the nutrient input low and continue exporting it will crash eventually, at least for me it always does. Just don't stress over it and wait it out.

Do you still have the package that the silicone was in? If it has anything to do with mold reducer (or whatever it is called) you will not be OK with that. I have read that certain GE silicons have killed off entire tanks when used. Find the package and do a quick search to see if it do any harm. 

Coral Hind has some good advice, as usual, on the cyno. Also, there is a bit of discussion about it on these boards if you are really curious. Happy reefing :)

• 3 weeks later...

You should be fine with the silicone, I wouldn't worry about that.

How long has the tank been setup? If you keep the nutrient input low and continue exporting it will crash eventually, at least for me it always does. Just don't stress over it and wait it out.

Everyone's still happy.  SIlicone must have been fine.  Much of the algae is gone.  Cyanno is cutting itself back too.  I still have more to do, plucking more green icky stuff out of the tank.