Removing Back wall in a Solana/Cardiff???

swffan

Is there an easy way to remove the back wall in one of these without using a gazillion razor blades?

Will applying head to the adhesive make it easier to remove?  

Goal is to remove the back wall and drill the tank.

Thanks 

Read that one first, his answer to how he removed them "Just razor blade, lot's of cursing and elbow grease"

I've been doing that, just looking for a faster easier solution if possible because this is a PITA just using razor blades. I may lose a finger or two at this pace. 

10 razor blades later and the use of an "acrylic cutter" (I think that is what its called) and about 27 slices and scrapes on my hands, I finally got that back wall and the chambers off.  They certainly did not skimp on the adhesive when they build this tank by any means.

Next question would be, I want to put a fresh layer of RTV adhesive.silicone around the edges just for peace of mind.  I do not want to take the tank apart completely and put it back together.  How much of the silicone that is currently on the seams/edges should be removed before applying a fresh "security" coat.  

So what's with all of the posts on RC saying how silicone doesnt stick to acrylic? I've also tried to remove some also, and it sticks like heck.

It seems like if you are planning a security coat on the inside you would want to remove all of the silicone on the inside except what is sandwiched between the glass panes and add a new bead over that seam. I have read that the internal bead mainly protects the actual seal from water damage rather than itself doing any sealing.

I can't say I would make an acrylic tank and just use silicone, but the stuff sure as heck sticks like something I've never seen before.  At one point I had just a small piece to go, I was pulling and yanking on it so hard to see if it would just pop off and no suck luck.  I think I had a better chance at pulling the back wall of glass off that connects the sides before I could get this small piece of plastic/acrylic (whatever it is) off.    I think i have cuts and scrapes on each finger, slice on my arm, and most likely some blood smeared in the tank somewhere.  (Guess thats what I get for finishing it at 4:30 AM)....NEVER again will I attempt anything like that.  I'll just buy a new tank.

I think that is what I'm going to do, just remove as much of the internal silicone as I can without bothering what connects the glass pieces together then put a nice thick  coat all around just to be safe.