RECOMMENDED SAND

reef addict

Good day everyone! I'm setting up my 210gl and would like to know what is the recommended or best fine sand that I can use for my reef set up. I'm still debating whether to go no sand at all. Million thanks!!

What are you going to be keeping in the tank? I like marco sand, the fine sand is very fine and can blow around in a high flow tank; the course sand is a nice compromise if you dont want to risk the sand storm.

Aragonite not silica sand is recommended.

I've used Southdown (an old aragonite sand that you could once buy at the hardware store, but that's not available any longer), but I thought that it was too fine for my liking. Today, I use CaribSea's Fiji Pink.

A lot of very nice tanks here also run bare bottom.

Others should chime in. But one thing I've read from them is that it's much easier to keep settled detritus out of the tank in a barebottom setup. That makes perfect sense, of course.

Aragonite sand provides some pH buffering. It also provides added surface area for bacteria that are part of your biological filter. The substrate provides a home for benthic life. However, it can also harbor detritus and, if too deep, can form pockets of poisonous hydrogen sulfide in areas with very little to no gas exchange.

(edited)

I have run sand beds from 2 inches to 6 inches deep for over 20 years on

at least a dozen setups and you need them deep.......at least 2 but 4 is better.

Mix different areas in your tank a layer of sugar 2 inches deep for nitrate controll

and wrasses and heavy mixes in the corners and front /back for flow controll.

Leave the middle 4/6 inches deep with sugar.

The only thing with DSB is you will need about 200.00 dollars of cleaner for that size.

Reefrocks for the sugarsand ......marco sand is the worst stuff ever...to dirty.

A mix of reefspecial/crushed coral and shell mix for the corners and mounds.

A DSB is a beautiful thing full of life with the correct amount of cleaner....lower nitrates

....looks better......feeds your reef and fish......NOTHING IS WORST TO ME THEN THE IDEA

THAT YOU CLEAN THE TANK OF DETRITUS LET NATURE DO IT FOR YOU.

I dont think i have ever seen a reef tank with a DSB that i feel has enough cleaner

or enough diversity .......seems to me where most go wrong.

Edited by basser9

As we are on the topic, I had a follow up question.

Is it ok to use "used" sand in a new set up? If the sand was in a tank previously what precautions if any should be taken to use it in a new tank setup?

Thanks much!

I was gonna bring that up, but thanks. Anyway, i have about 150lbs in my current DT, can i use this in my new set up and just add few more lbs? I think the ratio is 2-3lbs per gl, so i may need another 260lbs, is that pretty much accurate statement?

Using old sand isn't a problem IMO. I would recommend washing it well if it has been sitting around without water for a while.

As for volume of sand... figure out how many cubic feet you want... eg, a 180 with a 6x2 footprint, at about 2" of depth is 2 cu ft. (6x2x0.16667) Marco gives his sand at about 2 cu ft per 160 lbs.

I'm currently looking for sand sources myself. Hope to be able to add it in a week or so.