Robo Snail

Premium Aquatics

I suppose since I have a 1" glass tank I will never be the proud owner of a robot snail lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think it's cool as can be. And while it's not for me right now, LED light fixtures used to be sky-high as well. :)

It gets very close to the substrate. What happens if it picks up debris or snail shells and drags them around the tank? Very linear scratches?

Wonder if there is some mechanism to keep it clear of debris.

I think it's cool as can be.

I don't mean to poopoo all over this in the vendor forum. This is very cool. The price is just high imo. Considering I can get a Roomba for $400 and it also has a vacuum motor, collection bag and more intelligent mapping software (to avoid furniture legs), this is just priced too high, imo. I think a more appropriate introductory price would be $199, with a price drops to $149 after the year or so. When the next generation comes out, price drop again to $99.

A few questions though:

Does it leave tire / tred tracks on the outside of your tank? What happens if it falls or your kid pulls it off the tank? Is it water proof in case I spill over my tank? Can I turn off the blinking light?

We're working on getting a demo model set up on one of the tanks so that we can provide some 'results over time' as to how it functions.

As for dipping into the substrate, just like the Roomba, the snail learns its route during its first cleaning cycle. You set its parameters so that the cleaning surface never comes within reaching distance of the actual substrate level. You could set its tolerance even higher if you were concerned about a lot of substrate movement in your system.

I'll work on getting more of the questions answered once we have our trial model running. Don't worry, the thing will be put through its paces before reviews are released. We'll know its practical tolerances before too long.

Regarding the price point... It's the same complaint with every 'first of its kind' product in our industry... look at controllers, skimmers, lighting fixtures, sumps... Yes, the first generation price is exhorbitant. That's just because once the patent expires, every company under the sun will be making them and the market will bottom out. The first company is the one who invested in all of the marketing, all of the research and development, the patent process... They deserve to cash in on their idea long enough to see a profit, or they won't last long enough to bring us the next great innovation. And the price won't stay inflated forever. Competition will drive the price down to whatever the general market demands. It's only the hobbyist who can't wait to own the newest gadget who will pay the initial price. That seems fair.

I have a robo hermit crab, it has working headlights, roll bar, window brush, vacuum cleaner, TV antenna, rear view mirror, stainless steel bumpers, air conditioning and a rock brush. 2013-04-12100231_zpsdc7a1423.jpg

Edited by paul b

As for dipping into the substrate, just like the Roomba, the snail learns its route during its first cleaning cycle. You set its parameters so that the cleaning surface never comes within reaching distance of the actual substrate level. You could set its tolerance even higher if you were concerned about a lot of substrate movement in your system.

I'll work on getting more of the questions answered once we have our trial model running. Don't worry, the thing will be put through its paces before reviews are released. We'll know its practical tolerances before too long.

Very good to know. I'm interested in seeing how it functions over time. I know I always wound up with worm casings and snail bits around my magnets if left in the tank. Maybe that won't be a concern for something that moves around enough. Keep us posted! Thanks