No, Not the Tang!

LCDRDATA

My tank appeared to have stabilized after the crash, and the three remaining fish all seemed to be healthy and happy. A week ago I added my first new fish - a juvenile Atlantic Tang. I took my wife with me to pick it out since she's much better at detecting any signs that something might be wrong, and neither of us could detect any. The picture below, taken shortly after he went in, isn't great, but is mainly for the color (in contrast to those to come):

gallery_2631918_1196_133936.jpg

The little guy was always shy, so getting a good look at him (let alone a good photo) was challenging, but toward the end of the week my wife said she thought he might be pale. I eventually managed to get a couple of semi-decent photos:

gallery_2631918_1196_77865.jpg

gallery_2631918_1196_83679.jpg

I wanted to check on the fish when the lights came on, and found him laying on the bottom :ohmy: :

gallery_2631918_1196_225755.jpg

I've never seen anything quite like this before, and don't have any good idea what it is. I was finally able to localize and catch the little guy and just got him into a hospital tank. Does anyone know what's going on here, and what an appropriate treatment regime might be? Thanks!

After reading through the articles it looks like velvet is the most likely :cry: . I've just added the appropriate dose of Cupramine to the hospital tank; now I guess it's just wait and see. He did seem to be spending a little more time upright than laying down since I move him; hopefully that's a good sign (and continues).

I don't know if cupramine is the same as coppersafe. Watch the fish closely. Check ammonia levels daily. Your other fish will need to be treated too. Your DT will need to go fallow for at least 6-8 weeks.

I've dealt with Marine Velvet. It moves fast. Don't wait to see signs and symptoms to treat, by then it is usually late. Sorry to hear this. It's a tough disease. Good luck!!

After reading through the articles it looks like velvet is the most likely :cry: . I've just added the appropriate dose of Cupramine to the hospital tank; now I guess it's just wait and see. He did seem to be spending a little more time upright than laying down since I move him; hopefully that's a good sign (and continues).

this is like a PSA for QT.

You should let the store know that this happened so they are aware their stock has a large problem in case they are unaware

Update - although the tang was looking better yesterday evening, it had expired by the time I got home from work today. :sad:

My wife was wondering, though, if perhaps there were lingering toxins from the dinoflagellates that took out most of my other fish in that tank last month (late February). I thought things had stabilized, but perhaps I was premature. Potentially neither one was enough to take it down individually but the combination was too much. Any thoughts?

Do you have any other fish in the DT? If it is Velvet it knocked all of my fish out in 2 weeks even with treatment.