Cabinet/Stand airflow - fan(s)?

wade

I am interested in hearing how people have managed to move through closed stands that include sumps. I would like to mount a fan to blow air into the cabinet to evacuate the moisture that will come from having a sump/skimmer in there.

Have people found quiet and efficient fans that won't corrode quickly (although pushing air in vs pulling it out should help with longevity)?

Has anyone designed mounts or ways of quieting fan noise further?

My initial thought is to look for quiet cabinet (AV/stereo) fans and adapt it for use in the stand. Probably using a foam underlay between the wall of the cabinet and the fan itself. Since my return lines will come over the back, I will need to think about any potential splash from above and protecting the fan to prevent shorting as well.

I use a Massey clip-on fan from Walmart (~$10) for temp control, does not run constantly...I removed the clip-on bracket and mounted inside stand using two eye hooks and a bolt with cotter pin. This allowed me to mount it on the ceiling inside the stand, which keeps it out of the way and away from any salt creep.

Minor rust after two years...

Edited by John

How is it for vibration/noise? Can you hear it in the room with the doors closed?

Does the inside of the stand stay fairly moisture free with it? I'm always a fan of cheap.

How is it for vibration/noise? Can you hear it in the room with the doors closed?

Does the inside of the stand stay fairly moisture free with it? I'm always a fan of cheap.

No vibration and no noise...Due to this type of installation it floats on the eye hooks.

Again, I only use it for temp control, it is not constantly running...my cabinet is moisture-free because I allow it to breathe...it is not air tight.

Edited by John

I have used the AC fans from Radio Shack in the past. They were very quiet and can be wired to a standard plug (no conversion from AC to DC). I found them to be very well made and didn't have any problems with rust.

On my last stand i just cut a whole in one side for a plastic vent grill and used a clip on fan on the otherside like john...

Of course you could always install a humidistat and have that set up to run when needed? I just turned mine on for about 15 minutes at mid day when it was humid outside (lived in Seattle, very low outside humidity normally)