What's up with this SPS?

Tink

I noticed my stylophora was looking rough today. It was fine yesterday, and I'm not sure what's going on. Here's a picture of the damage. Any ideas?

e2arytyz.jpg

Can you explain what exact damage you are seeing? I see white tips which could be from too much light or from rapid growth but I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about.

(edited)

I was worried about the retraced polyps that look black-ish. On the right branch you can see one almost looks like a gaping hole?

Here is a view of what I'm talking about

unute6y3.jpg

Edited by Tink

Depending on what exactly that coral looks like. Most of the time, white tips are the signs or coral growing. As stated above.

Edit: looks like the coral has lost some flesh there. Hmm

Edited by Kingumar

The polyps could be retracted because it grabbed something to eat. Maybe something brushed up against it and caused it to retract. Or, you have a fish or something in your tank which is picking on it.

Just rule out some things, what fish do you have? What type of lighting do you have?

Fish are as follows:

- 1 Stocky Anthias

- 1 Yellow Tang

- 1 Tomni Tang

- 2 ocellaris clowns

Inverts:

Blue Leg Hermits

2 cleaner Shrimp

1 Fire shrimp

Various snails

Lighting is 4 39w T5:

2 Blue Plus

1 Coral Plus

1 Actinic

Your parameters look good. Are you using a refractometer for the SG, make sure it's calibrated. The fish list seems fine, no polyp nippers on it.

That seems like a very blue color combination for your T5's. How long are the ligths on for? How is it looking today?

Yea, the refractometer was calibrated just a couple weeks ago. I also checked with my back-up to confirm.

Lights are:

2x Blue Plus = 8.5 hours a day

Actinic and Coral Plus = 6.5 hours a day

Here is an updated picture. I blew it off with a syringe last night to make sure there was nothing on it, and to cause it to retract so I could better see the damage. It has yet to fully reopen.

jepenupu.jpg

I agree with Z2K, it's pretty normal. Just kick back and observe. There doesn't seem to be any tissue damage other than the color is kind of light, either not enough or too much light maybe.

I think you might have a Pocillopra.