GFO

STEVE

I have a question concerning GFO...Why is it that I can rinse my GFO for 10-15mins, the water is crystal clear, yet later in the day after I have the reactor online in the system, I get a brown coating in the skimmer and in the skimmate and even in the sump? I think I'm rinsing pretty well.......Anyone else with the same issues/fix for this?

I have the same issue with carbon.

If it's tumbling a lot it will break down and create that dust. Is it tightly compacted in the reactor?

Just dancing on the surface, not tumbling at all.

Carbon fron brs. The next step below rox 8.

Just dancing on the surface, not tumbling at all.

What I do after I rinse, I take a piece of 50 micron filter material and cover the effluent till the water runs clear, usually takes 2 times to get it all. I also open the pump up all the way to get a good flow going

What I do after I rinse, I take a piece of 50 micron filter material and cover the effluent till the water runs clear, usually takes 2 times to get it all. I also open the pump up all the way to get a good flow going

I will try that! Thanks

How much rinsing does everyone do? I used to just install the new stuff and run it full blast with salt water until it ran clean. Usually about 2 quarts worth. I never noticed any black and/or rust stuff on the skimmer or elsewhere. I'll check a litle more carefully next time I change/install gfo or carbon.

The only thing I can think of is I'm not rinsing aggressive enough....long enough, just not with the valve opened up as much to really get that "tumble up from the bottom"

trying to get them phosphates down in the 300 ! :wacko: :mad: :blink: :unsure: :sad: :huh:

How they got there in the first place is my question...thru food I guess.

A simple 10micron and 1 micron bag setup is a easy thing to do.

Never have i ever rinsed carbon or gfo,

Never so much as a hint of any fines in my system.

I rinse carbon in tap and run both GFO and carbon into a bucket until clear. Both reactor outlets are run 24/7 through a 100 micron sock.