Just wondering what you all think....

08can-am

First off let me start out by saying yes I'm new to WAMAS. And yes I need to pay for the membership( I'm slacking). I have been a member of a Richmond group since getting into the hobby. Until recent I did not know of this group. With that being said I plan to be as active as possible north and south. Recently I asked the group south what they thought about a "big event" locally. Obviously not as big as MACNA but I feel like in order to get that big you've gotta start somewhere. Now let me reiterate I am not sure of the happenings here as I am only a 4-5 day member. The reason this thought crossed my mind is because I see this larger frag swaps take place all over the country. For example this weekend is REEFSTOCK in Colorado. I think it would be awesome to have something of that nature in VA. if you guys have that already gosh have I been missing out. If not does anyone think it could happen or have any idea what it would take? Again just thinking out loud. I appreciate everyone's opinion.

First WELCOME!!! As for Frag Swaps they happen pretty often at the meetings April 14th is the next meet and turnout is normally very good. This last one (was my first) they had at least 8+ people with frag tanks setup and their was some incredible stuff. As for being a paid member I have been here almost 1 year and not only are their great items for sale, trade, and auction all the time but the amount of knowledge on this forum is truly amazing. I dont think I have had to wait more than 2 hours for someone to give advice, or even offer to lend a hand.

April 14th huh! Ill have to mark that one down. When I was about 4 weeks into the hobby I went to tfp for the fall frag swap. Being that new in the hobby I had no idea what I was looking at amongst all the tables. All I knew was I was looking for this tree of Kenya that a newbie could grow.

Edited by 08can-am

Also, annually we have what we call our FragFest Extravaganza where, in addition to our quarterly speaker, we demonstrate and give away a LOT of frags to members. It's not unusual for people to walk away with 5 to 10 or more frags from the event. We normally have this in July or August.