Clam question

MBVette

So I am new to clams and I picked up this crocea a couple weeks ago from incredible corals. He has seemed to be doing great and he grabbed onto the rocks right away and has been open fully since almost day one.

But now in the last few days he seems to be moving himself around (his foot is still attached in a very similar spot to where he started. But he is going to fall off the rock he is on shortly, based on his oriontation does it seem like he wants less light or could there be some other reason for him moving now?

80D506D8-9D03-4EFD-8143-5A5B299AC576-4882-000001DCAACA2C3C_zps785637b0.jpg

They tend to move around a little for a while after putting them in. One of my Scamosa's still spins in circles 6 months later. But that one will probably wind up falling soon if you don't move it. Just gently peel it off at the foot.

I tried getting him off earlier and he still has a really good hold. But if I do get him off should I put him back in the same spot or move him to a new location?

How long has that tank been set up? Clams require very mature and stable tanks. Those rocks look brand new.......any chance they could be leaching something that is irritating the clam?

Edited by steveoutlaw

I would consider using a couple of pieces of rock rubble and some epoxy to create a little trough in front of it both to keep it from falling and make it happier (has always worked well for my clams). I would not force the foot loose.

"How did 1500G of saltwater cost THAT much?"

leave it alone. the more you touch things and reposition them, the more likely they are to become stressed or die. if the byssal threads are anchored, then it should be fine. maybe the light or current is too strong and it is simply adjusting itself.

patience young grasshopper.