Ricordia question...

NYfan78

I got this ricordia when it was only about the size of a quarter. Now its gotten a lot bigger and about id say 2" in diameter. How big do they get?8u4aqa8u.jpg

Edited by NYfan78

IMO the problem isn't the eventual size they may or may not get - it's how quickly these spread, move, and will start taking over your tank. I had a red Yuma that grew about to about 15 heads in a year, many of which are over 4" across now. Good luck getting rid of them, you need to bone cut the rock they're on. Scraping them makes it worse... If you like them, it's all good, but if you don't - watch out. They will kill other corals they touch, and very quickly.

ricordia do not spread as fast as some of the other corallimorphs....

any mushrooms can cover other corals and kill them by stealing their light...

I doubt other than not liking the look of a million mushrooms that if they would reproduce that rapidly (I wish mine did, lol) they are easy to sell...

ok- I was poking fun at the original post, my reply said they get 3' not 3" across and was calling it a tank buster but everyomne missed that....

anyways,

the ricordea that is in the picture is a common green yuma ricordea which get up to 6" across and can grow rapidly enough to smother everything else in sight. in my opinion these types of yumas fall into the nuisance category of corals and should be kept on the sand or on an isolated piece of rock.

Thanks for all the info! I am going to glue it to a small rock and move it to the sand. Its ok to handle it right? Does it have a "foot" that adheres to the rock its currently on? I never glued it down.

Thanks for all the info! I am going to glue it to a small rock and move it to the sand. Its ok to handle it right? Does it have a "foot" that adheres to the rock its currently on? I never glued it down.

Yes it does kinda have a foot. You can just cut away that part of the rock. Bone cutters will do the trick. Or if you can pull the rock out a screwdriver and hammer work well too. Personally I would recommend gloves anytime your handling things in the tank. I know some people, like Rob dont bother but if you dont want to worry at all wear gloves.

Ok it ia going to be a huge pain to pull the rock out to get the ricordia off. Any other ideas???

If you must remove it use bone cutters and chip at the rock underneath it, not the yuma itself. Using a razor blade or pulling it may cause injury. Injuries to shrooms many times into brown jelly disease. Why remove it? I've seen yumas get as big as 8" across. Purchased one from someone on craigslist. I love them. I think they're beautiful. If you are lucky it will multiply.

Yes, leave it be and enjoy it.

Ok it ia going to be a huge pain to pull the rock out to get the ricordia off. Any other ideas???

My only worry is it is getting close to the coral in the pic.

Edited by NYfan78