Clean Refugium?

Nemesis84

I would. It's alot easier to take it out of the sump than the tank. It sounds like your sump is going to be a convenient point to get rid of detritus easily!!!

I would approach it like cleaning sand. Wouldn't completely clean it out in one go, but I would vacuum a third or half at a time to preserve the cryptic organisms that Rob rightly points out. While you want diversity, you don't want a nitrate factory either. Maybe add a crab or carnivorous snails. Just to make sure that the detritus is processed a few times.

I would approach it like cleaning sand. Wouldn't completely clean it out in one go, but I would vacuum a third or half at a time to preserve the cryptic organisms that Rob rightly points out. While you want diversity, you don't want a nitrate factory either. Maybe add a crab or carnivorous snails. Just to make sure that the detritus is processed a few times.

you shouldn't be cleaning your sand either- that's another source of biodiversity. you should have nass snails, worms, and starfish constantly sifting for food. the detritus isn't gonna add to the nitrates unless it's a huge amount.

isnt a fuge suppose to be a bio filter? add detritus eating critters in there like pods and snailsin theory should clean it out naturally right.

no snails in fuge. pods are ok though.

you shouldn't be cleaning your sand either- that's another source of biodiversity. you should have nass snails, worms, and starfish constantly sifting for food. the detritus isn't gonna add to the nitrates unless it's a huge amount.

no snails in fuge. pods are ok though.

I get what you are saying Rob. But, if you clean a modest portion of of the sand at a time (say once every month), then the flora and fauna in the remaining, uncleaned, sand will multiply and repopulate the "clean" sand. That extra population growth will consume even more excess nutrients, right? My point is that as long as one is methodical and does not aggressively clean, the critical biodiversity will remain intact.

No snails? Because of the possibility of jamming pumps?