interesting read on ethics

jimlin

That's really a great article, thanks for posting. I can definitely relate to some of the thoughts in there. I often tell friends and family that "fish are friends, not food" and sometimes even follow with "how would you feel if I told you I had cat for dinner last night?" The problem there is if I follow this line of thought to its logical conclusion I end up a vegetarian. So I try not to think about it too much. :)

Many people who have visited these forums would be considered cruel and inhumane and might even be in jail if they killed cats and dogs as much as they have killed fish and other aquatic animals.

Gives a different sort of perspective.

Observation from someone who has lost livestock. Most of the death I've experienced over the years has been directly attributable to vendors selling me equipment they claim will keep fish or corals alive, and it turns out to be at best overrated and at worst totally useless crap. You don't see that with cats and dogs. Once you realize that nothing is optional, and everything is rated for twice what it can really do, it's pretty easy to keep everything alive. Another point I'd make is that other pets, from gerbils to dogs, don't require a friggin' space station to live. If a dog required exotic gasses, precise temperatures and a bubble that had to be scrubbed constantly from the inside, they might have trouble in the human home as well. People expect aquatic livestock to die. I thought I had it all figured out a couple years ago, and the latest tech skimmer I had, rated at 300 gal on my 220 gal system, wasn't up to the task. I'm now running a similar skimmer rated at 750 gal on the same system and seem to be okay. Hope I got it right this time.

Most livestock I ever lost was due to a power outage ... still hurts to think about it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that one.

And for the record, I don't eat fish (or cats or dogs, just in case anyone was wondering).

Most livestock I ever lost was due to a power outage ... still hurts to think about it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that one.

And for the record, I don't eat fish (or cats or dogs, just in case anyone was wondering).

My cousin, Clark Berge, is the head of the order of Franciscan Friars, spends his life traveling around the world to monasteries, and few months a year in NY doing ppwk and healing from his adventures. He visited our place once a couple years back, saw the large pacific blue that actually went to Rob (Zygote2k) when my tank last imploded and said aloud, "oh, we eat those down in the islands, scoop 'em up by net and eat them with rice."

My cousin, Clark Berge, is the head of the order of Franciscan Friars, spends his life traveling around the world to monasteries, and few months a year in NY doing ppwk and healing from his adventures. He visited our place once a couple years back, saw the large pacific blue that actually went to Rob (Zygote2k) when my tank last imploded and said aloud, "oh, we eat those down in the islands, scoop 'em up by net and eat them with rice."

Wow! I don't know which part of that comment is more cool, the fact that your are related to Br. Berge or what he said! Both are very cool :biggrin:

Small world. I think that my wife's cousin married a young man who was to be (or was, I really don't know) a Franciscan. He had his buddies at the wedding in their brown robes. They joked that they always knew that marriage wold suit him well. He and his wife are expecting very soon now.

Cousin Clark is my grandfather's nephew. The occasion he was here in D.C. was for my grandfather's funeral at Arlington, Brigadier General James H. Berge, Jr USMC Ret, This is the man who raised me. https://slsp.manpowe...ON_TYPE=General He was like a father. Another cool bio for you. I need to get out and visit Clark's parents in Seattle if we can ever pull it off, but he's already speaking with the brothers in NY so my wife and I can come visit this summer. It really is cool to be related to him, very special human being, to be sure. I hadn't seen him for a couple of decades prior, and really wasn't aware of his import until the funeral. He seemed your average priest when last we met a couple decades ago at our home in Falls Church, though was probably already extraordinary.

Edited by Piper