AquaC EV-240 vs. Reef Octopus NWB150 6”

BubbleHead

I'm slowly getting the equipment together for my 90 gallon cube. I currently have a AquaC EV-240 skimmer, which is a very tight fit in the stand and takes up a lot of room. I still need to buy a Mag 12 for it. Someone recommended an Reef Octopus NWB150 6''. I'm leaning towards the Octopus because of the smaller footprint but don't want to give up on performance. Recommendations?

I have the NWB150 and it works great on my 90. Its the only skimmer I have ever had so I have no comparison though. I have mine in a 9"x12" compartment in my sump, its a tight fit but does not seem to matter. I have plenty of room up top to to remove the cup with minimal tilt which seems to be the key part.

I have the same reef octopus but it is the 4" model. I like it and it pulls some nasty gunk out, but I am selling it because I want to get one a little higher rated. Overall, I would say it does the job well.

Lots of people has recommended the avast CS-1 skimmer. Have you looked into C-1? Are you looking for in-sump skimmer or external?

I'll probably go with insump, no a lot of room in the stand. Looks like I won't be ordering today. bad news from the person who wants half my money and hates reef tanks.

I have had bad experiences with AquaC skimmers. They are extremely touchy. The slightest adjustment in water quality and they stop skimming for a day. They take stop skimmer for about 3 hours every time you feed the tank. They also require really large pumps that consume lots of energy and generate lots of heat and noise. They are really a throwback to the 1990s.

I agree with the comments about the Avast CS1. They are universally adored on this forum, and I love my CS1 and CS2. Of course long time WAMAS members are biased since Avast is a home-grown company that has its roots on this forum.

That being said, any modern needle-wheel cone skimmer is going to do a great job.

BTW... I lost a 90 gallon SPS reef tank because my AquaC EV-400 couldn't pull out enough dissolved organics. I fell in love with needle-wheel skimmers when I switched. That is why I come off as a little bitter regarding " patented injection technology".