New Project - 8 gal Nuvo

Orion

ageme7ym.jpg

So I sold my 29gal freshwater, and used the funds to get this tank. I just set it up today, and as you can see it's a bit cloudy. :)

Here is what I got so far -

Innovative marine 8 gal Nuvo

Stock filter pump

CPE

Purigen

50w Heater

Reef Crystals Salt.

79F

Live sand

7lb live rock

I will eventually move the livestock from my 2 gal pico into this one once everything settles down and it cycles. The Par30 bulb on my 2g will also go on this tank and should be a perfect fit.

I think the stock pump is sufficient enough, creates good flow, and is rated at 92gph. The filter chamber area is big, and you can put a lot of stuff in there. I imagine if you wanted to create a refugium, you could. Hey, maybe I will! :)

I went with white sand this time instead of black, and a few large pieces of live rock instead of a bunch of small ones. This should give me a bunch of surface area to place corals on.

Future plans - The LFS had a pair of clownfish in their 8g Nuvo. They seemed happy, and have been in there awhile. So I'll probably get one juvenile clown to go in there down the road.

The ric I have growing in my 2g is taking off. I really like these guys, and will probably get a couple more.

6umuhudy.jpg

ytyde5ej.jpg

All clear. CPE and Purigen work well together. Found my first hitchhiker with the live rock, a brittle star. Lots of copepods too.

Put a blue legged hermit crab in there from the 2g as well.

su7u5uhy.jpgy2amy5e9.jpgnahe7ena.jpg7y3y9ene.jpgsanyjyva.jpg

Everything is transferred over from the 2g. Goby and fire shrimp seem to be really happy in a larger tank.

Tank doesn't actually look that blue like the pictures show. For some reason my phone camera shows more of a blue tint.

Moved the GSP to an area of high flow. The mat seems to like it. Frogspawn is in an area of medium flow, and the heads are not retracted so it must like it. Also noticed three new heads starting to grow on the stem.

Debating whether or not to use the glass lid. I like the look of an open top, but more evaporation and the risk of the goby jumping are my concerns.

Hi Orion what kind of light are you using ...how did you get the tank water ready so so fast for fish and coral

thanks john it looks so good i cant believe it' s only a 8 g tank..... I'm not sure if i want a big tank or 5 small ones lol

Latest FTS. Added a clownfish, nassarius snails, nerites, and using Jan's nano cubes for feeding.

ahy3a3ad.jpg

The light I am using is a Par30 lamp from BoostLED. www.boostled.com

It's a great light, and I think they have $10 off the clamp and bulb right now. The bulb I have uses 60 degree optics for more light spread across the tank.

The tank was an instant cycle. I bought 7lbs of live rock from the LFS, and live sand. I also used existing live rock from my 2g, and used Seachem Stability just to make sure the cycle went quickly.

Seachem says you can add livestock instantly, but I still waited a few days.

These small tanks are maintained utilizing the KISS method. (Keeping it simple!)

- 50% weekly water changes using distilled water. There is no skimmer, or sump. Trace elements are replenished with the water change, and bad stuff is taken out. I have never lost a coral or fish doing such a large water change. I used to do 100% weekly changes on the 2g without issues.

I match the salinity and temp. That's it.

- I dose nothing.

- Reef Crystals salt.

- I am considering an ATO, but topping it off with distilled every three days or so isn't a big deal.

Again, keep it simple.

Updated pics with new coral.

Moved GSP, Zoas, Frogspawn, and Ricordea. Added a Duncan, Toxic Green Hammer, Acan, and Birdsnest SPS.

The Birdsnest is an experiment. I put it in medium/high flow area, and at the top of tank for a lot of light.

FTS -

ranesyqy.jpg

Hammer (light just came on, not fully inflated) -

vuqa3y4y.jpg

Birdsnest -

jygune8a.jpg

Acan -

post-2633482-135783364997_thumb.jpg

Duncan (multiple heads)

post-2633482-135783367125_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Currently battling ich, and lost the clown goby. Little guy was very entertaining....

Clownfish seem to be handling it well, and have already shown signs of improvement in just two days. Hoping that with medication, and good food (Jan's) they develop an immunity to this strain of ich.

do you know how you got ich in the tank?

also what are the dimensions...

I think the clownfish must have had it. There were no problems until he arrived.

8 gal

Length: 11.81”

Width: 12.20”

Height: 17.28”

My wife looked into the tank this morning, and we lost both clownfish overnight. Not sure if the ich got both of them, or if there was a spike of something else(nitrate, etc). Corals look just fine as well as the inverts. Won't be able to check parameters until I get home this evening.

In any case my plan is to do a big water change tonight, and reinsert the purigen/CPE.

I have read elsewhere that I need to let the tank sit for 8 weeks with no fish in order for the ich to die off. Anyone know if this is true?

12 weeks to be sure...are you sure it was ich? Test your water when you get home before doing the water change to see what everything is at...

Definitely will test the water for ph, ammonia, nitrate, etc. before the water change.

this is what was on the clowns... (Little white spots all over)

post-2633482-135903550324_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Would it be alright to add coral, and rearrange some of the rock while it sits fishless?

Edited by Orion

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the tank fishless for awhile so I am adding coral and equipment in the mean time.

Added a gold torch, small acan, and frogspawn. All were from ERC.

Bought an ATO from Avast, and an RO/DI unit from BRS using the group buy discount. No more gallon jugs of distilled water from the store! Over time it will save some cash vs. buying the distilled.

Here are some shots

post-2633482-136009254135_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136009256888_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136009259475_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New pictures with Kessil A150w light.

Pictures look a lot more blue than in person.

post-2633482-136139472275_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136139475624_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136139480435_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136139483584_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136139486781_thumb.jpg

post-2633482-136139497056_thumb.jpg