How long will it take va bottle of Tigger Pods to multiply?

wardragonet

Got all my parameters straight today and I went out and got a Mandarin, I bought a bottle of Tigger-Pods and was gonna put em in my nano for a week befor I introduced him at that time I was gonna buy another bottle. Would that sustain him to the point were I'd only have to buy a bottle every two months? Also I bought some brine shrimp for the clown fish and put them in the nano, would they eat the pods or keep them from multiplying?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, but Mandarins should only be added to a well established system. A nano won't produce enough food him either.

Is it eating frozen food?

Edited by surf&turf

Mandarin will need a steady supply of live pods otherwise will waste away and starve to death. You'd need more Tigger-pods than you can afford unless you keep the Mandarin in the nano.

You can sometimes train them to accept artificial foods and then you can also buy them from ORA that are eating pellets.

He would eat the pods pretty quickly and I doubt they would get a chance to multiply in a small system. Is it eating brine at all? You might have to buy pods weekly as well live brine to keep it in a small tank.

He actually ate some brine shrimp today, he's in the 20g, I'm gonna put the pods in the nano but I'm wondering how long would it take them in a tank without predators would it take for them to build a good enough presence?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah -- you should have probably waited to seed the pods first THEN buy the mandarin. But what is done is done.

It will get very expensive with the Tigger Pods. Plus you want diversity in amphipods and copepods for health.

Reefs2go continually offer incredible deals on Pods (especially on eBay under the seller name pods2go -- 250 pods for $10 + free shipping). I've seen a pack of 1000 for $30. They are good quality amphipods and benthic copepods, and my mandarin (well, all my fish) love them. If I were in your situation, I'd buy 1000 to seed. And then I'd buy another 500 every couple of weeks until the tank is seeded. They are good at hiding so they got established pretty quickly. Make sure you have some phytoplankton in the food for the pods to eat (they do eat left over food and detritus, but phytoplankton is a good addition for the pods and coral too). DT's is one of the best.

How do you know your tank is maintaining the population? Well, if you lift out a small piece of rubble, there should be some pods running around the bottom and they scatter when the light hits them.

That was my plan and my green spotted Mandarin is a fatty and going on 2 years old (in the tank). My goby also eats brine and mysis, but the food needs to be right in front of his face.

tightline

So you are just farming pods in a gallon jug with an airline?

I tried that, and got mixed results

(the water didn't go clear in the first 2 months, so I assume the pods died)

Did you have to add liverock or anything for the ammonia export?

or are you doing water changes?

Farming pods outside the fuge seems like the fastest way to breed them.