Colonail Hydroids

sen5241b

I don't find them invasive, but I do have a small patch that is preventing my sunset monti from spreading to neighboring rock...Zoas/Palys seem to grow happily amongst them:

gallery_2632034_906_677630.jpg

gallery_2632034_906_70646.jpg

i dont think they will take over the whole tank but they will spread

i had to cut some off a rock to get rid of the buggers (as in cut a large chunk of the rock off.

they sting anything near they so its like a dead spot

if you can get rid of them i would.

i had some that spread rather quickly for me. i was lucky because i did not have any corals in the tank so all i had to do was take out the rock it was on.

I have found that it's best to let them live. Their population will rise and fall like everything else in your tank. Leave it alone and don't plant corals near it. The more diversity you have on your rock, the better off your whole tank will be in the long run.

I have them and think they're just as cool as any given coral.

i had some that spread rather quickly for me. i was lucky because i did not have any corals in the tank so all i had to do was take out the rock it was on.

How long ago did you take the rock out and did they come back?

I have found that it's best to let them live. Their population will rise and fall like everything else in your tank. Leave it alone and don't plant corals near it. The more diversity you have on your rock, the better off your whole tank will be in the long run.

I have them and think they're just as cool as any given coral.

This is fine assuming they don't spread to the extent they starting killing other life in your tank.

BTW, I tried something new: covered them with AptasiaX then covered that with thick kalk paste.

Also, I've tried a blowtorch in the past and IF and only IF you apply enough heat to them will they die. The reason the CHs are so difficult to kill is that they can retract deep into the rock. I have blow torched them and they survived -with singed heads but they did survive. If you blow torch them, then you really need to burn them till the rock turns black. Where I did that (6 months ago) they never grew back.

Important: Whatever way you decide to kill them (heat, dremel the rock, chemical warfare, ...) it is important that you completely kill them on the first try. If taking the rock out, rinse it with tank water before putting it back in. I read somewhere that if you just rip the heads off them (and I've done this with the blow torch) then it will release the planula causing them to only spread even more.

i got most of mine with a propane torch, no problem. as noted above, cook it for a while with the flame. i have two very small sections left, going to just cover them up with super glue or something this weekend and hope it finishes them off.

I recently pulled a piece of hardened kalk off of some CHs that I covered 4 months earlier. The CHs appeared just the way they were when I covered them. Where I can't remove the rock. going to try multi-modal treatment. (Baste with scalding water then ApatsiaX then kalk then maybe glue, etc ...)

FWIW, I went to another WAMAS members' house and noticed that he had 2 patches of these about the size of a quarter. They appeared to be doing fine and looked to be living harmoniously with the corals close by.