Feasibility of converting HOB filter to HOB fuge

Jsbarber12

I have an HOB filter than I run every few days for carbon only, would I be able to clean the heck out of it and use it as a fuge instead and run it all the time? Or is it not such a good idea?

Assuming that the tank doesn't really need the carbon, I don't see any problem with the idea in principle - of course, the resulting 'fuge will be relatively small. What function are you wanting the 'fuge for - nutrient export, pod supply, etc?

The only real reason I use the carbon is for water polishing, I'd more so want to add more boyfriend export but now that you mention it as an extra pod source that really makes me want to do it

The only real reason I use the carbon is for water polishing, I'd more so want to add more boyfriend export but now that you mention it as an extra pod source that really makes me want to do it

Fathers are usually the best means of boyfriend export . . .

Fathers are usually the best means of boyfriend export . . .

+1

Edited by surf&turf

I have one modded....a big filter still means a small Fuge even for the footprint it takes on the back of the tank. I'm not even running mine right now. How much do you want to put in it?

I was thinking I'd be able to fit 5-7 lbs rubble and only a wee bit of cheato after looking at the interior capacity of the filter it didn't look too practical

what filter are you attempting to mod?

Why add so much rubble? You can just add a layer of sand or rubble and fill it with chaeto. Your light is key.

Aqua Clear filters are the best to mod for refugiums because they are deep (front to back & top to bottom ). They're like a big box. Most other filters are narrow.

I was thinking I'd be able to fit 5-7 lbs rubble and only a wee bit of cheato after looking at the interior capacity of the filter it didn't look too practical

Edited by Jan's Reef Foods