Ozone treatment...Smell in Apt...danger to Reef?

gregorfd

Question for folks out there, apt was washed out during Hurricane Sandy...apt owner is drying carpets and will replace pad. They have also offered an ozone treatment to the apt to remove any lingering smells.

Will this treatment pose any threat to my 120g and 90g mixed-reef tanks?

apt owner is also requiring me to move 1 tank (ya 120g) temporarily to get to carpet underneath it....bleh 2 days of pain ahead.

thanks in advance on any comments related to the ozone question.

Most likely, no. It's unlikely to raise the ORP in your tank by any substantial amount in the short amount of time these treatments often take place. How long will they treat the air?

What i always recommended to people with fish tanks was while we were ozoning, make sure to turn the skimmer and any other media off...you can keep your powerheads and pump running, and to turn off the lights and cover the tank with a blanket or towel...

also, you cannot be in the apt when its on,lol

for a 900sqft apt we had tiny plug in wall ozonators...would do 2 hours each room (gets rid of mildew/mold smell and tobacco/marijuana smell also)

Only thing I would ask them to do is to avoid using the ozone with the scent... they used a cherry scent in my house after a fire and it stunk up the joint for days... didn't have any affect on any of the tanks.