Aussie Elegance and the krill

Huly

A few weeks ago we bought an awesome Aussie elegance from Adam at Mr. Coral Retail. Well while at F&F getting water Sean and I were discussing it since him and Adam have had multiple chats about this coral, its care etc (they are friends) and Sean told me the food I was feeding is not enough for this coral. He gave me a sample of krill coral and told me what to do. After seeing how big the krill was and that it floats Pez and I didn't believe that it would eat it. Since Sean told us to we decided to try it and Pez help out a piece of krill by one of the heads. This thing snatched it! It even tried to take Pez's fingers. AMAZING! Sean also told us to feed it large chuncks of Jan's food when we get our order. :)

Here are a few shot I captured of the Aussie Elegance and its krill dinner

DSCN5466.jpg

DSCN5464.jpg

DSCN5463.jpg

We also did a little new Aquascaping (still working on that) but once we moved our Sun Coral it went nuts!

DSCN5450.jpg

And of course my favorite munchkins (jawfish) that I have been working with (they now pose for photos :))

DSCN5461.jpg

I saw one at the meet yesterday and I was SO tempted. Everything looks very happy.

Just don't over feed my food or you'll have nitrate issues. Just use a little bit a few times a day. You can use a turkey baster for the sun corals and take the chunks of seafood and feed it to your elegance coral with tongs or something long. Same goes for Scotts food, all home made foods should be used a little at a time.

Edited by Jan

I saw one at the meet yesterday and I was SO tempted. Everything looks very happy.

Just don't over feed my food or you'll have nitrate issues. Just use a little bit a few times a day. You can use a turkey baster for the sun corals and take the chunks of seafood and feed it to your elegance coral with tongs or something long. Same goes for Scotts food, all home made foods should be used a little at a time.

Here is what we currently have in our tank and what we currently feed. How much do you reccomend?

Fish/Inverts

2 Skunk Shrimp

Turbo Snails (4-5)

Random snails

Hermits (4)

Porcelin Crab

Fighting Conch

2 Jawfish

2 orange Gobies (going to talk to Tom when he stops by about donating these two)

2 Orange clown

2 Black Clown

1 Potter Angel

2 Royal Gammas

1 Kole Tang

3 Blue green chromis

Coral

3 Torch Coral (1 medium 2 small)

1 Large Aussie Elegane

1 Medium Sun Coral

1 Medium Hammer Coral

1 Med GSP

1 Sm Birdnest

2 SM Montipora

2 SM Zoas

1 Sm 1 Med Candy Cane

1 Sm Blastomussa

1 SM Ricordea

2 M Goniopora

Curent Feeding:

2 Medium to Large pinches on Flake food in AM

1 whole block of Mysis or Brine Shrimp in evening (rotate between two proteins)

Stips of Nori as needed for Tang

Coral- 2-3 times a week we mix the following

Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast

Frozen 2.0 (I think the Zooplankton Combo)

And just started adding in a little Reef Roids

Oh and come check ours out and feed it! It is super cool!

Your elegance is awesome, I had one years ago.

You'd be surprised what corals will eat, I saw my clown feed its BTA a stink bug the other day.

It's true but it isn't always good for them.

Your elegance is awesome, I had one years ago.

You'd be surprised what corals will eat, I saw my clown feed its BTA a stink bug the other day.

IMO- That seems like a lot of food unless you have a ridiculously efficient process of nutrient export. I would reduce flake food, and for best results thaw the cube of mysis in tank water and drain the cloudy nutrient rich juice. Because you feed a great variety of foods nothing should be lacking essential vitamins. l'd say minimize the quantity per feeding and keep up the multiple feeding regimen. Fish will never have enough food, but for most corals less is more, (except the hungry sun coral, I love mine).

It's true but it isn't always good for them.

I was wondering the same thing Jan, but it ate it with no ill affects.

Frequent feedings in small portions, 1-1.5 inch of my frozen food, for this amount of livestock should be fine.

What you feed is important. when feeding mysis you should rinse it after thawing before adding to your tank. MY food has everything here except reef roids. the rotifers, cyclopeeze, oyster and phytofeast may replace that. I have to check what's in Reef roids. The only flake I use is spirulina.

Here is what we currently have in our tank and what we currently feed. How much do you reccomend?

Fish/Inverts

2 Skunk Shrimp

Turbo Snails (4-5)

Random snails

Hermits (4)

Porcelin Crab

Fighting Conch

2 Jawfish

2 orange Gobies (going to talk to Tom when he stops by about donating these two)

2 Orange clown

2 Black Clown

1 Potter Angel

2 Royal Gammas

1 Kole Tang

3 Blue green chromis

Coral

3 Torch Coral (1 medium 2 small)

1 Large Aussie Elegane

1 Medium Sun Coral

1 Medium Hammer Coral

1 Med GSP

1 Sm Birdnest

2 SM Montipora

2 SM Zoas

1 Sm 1 Med Candy Cane

1 Sm Blastomussa

1 SM Ricordea

2 M Goniopora

Curent Feeding:

2 Medium to Large pinches on Flake food in AM

1 whole block of Mysis or Brine Shrimp in evening (rotate between two proteins)

Stips of Nori as needed for Tang

Coral- 2-3 times a week we mix the following

Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast

Frozen 2.0 (I think the Zooplankton Combo)

And just started adding in a little Reef Roids

LOL Stink bug Yuck!

Thanks! So far our nitrates have been perfect and our kids are pigs lol. I just know your food is richer and high protein which you normally feed less. Trying to make sure we do everything right.

The Gobies are Orange Diamond Back