Hey Copps did you pick up the Narcosis?

MBVette

This thing went quick and its a beautiful fish. Seems like something that would be up your alley, and not many other people would be interested in a fish like that.

narcosis.jpg

I did not... I posted this in a thread on RC... :)

"Hey guys, I did not get this fish... although I know who did. At MACNA I let Kevin know of an interested serious buyer, and it worked out... We had this discussion at the banquet, just before Kevin received the highest honor in this industry... one given to just one person each year... Kevin Kohen was very deserving. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about Live Aquaria, but few people realize that Kevin is the driving force and brains behind this success... I know a lot of people in this industry... some I respect much and some less... Kevin is right at the top of the list... and on top of that a genuinely nice person... he deserves some serious props!!!

As I said in another thread this fish was sold in the states for a relative bargain... me, Koji, and Kevin were sitting and talking at MACNA when Kevin nearly fell off of his chair after finding out what Koji sold two narcosis for... 18K a piece. These specimens were indeed collected in "French Polynesia" by Rufus Kimura. While they were only recently officially documented there it's been known for some time... I was at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii in 2007 when Rich Pyle showed me an email and photo taken by a rebreather diver in Rangiroa (not to be confused with Rarotonga... far away!) at something like 300 or 400 feet asking about a fish... it was Centropyge narcosis!!!

The specimen the DD got was collected at Rarotonga this past July in the Cooks by the same ichthyologist on the same reef as the holotype specimen... 23 years later!! Rich Pyle was at Rarotonga on a joint project between the University of Hawaii and Bishop Museum to survey the deep reefs in more detail than they had previously... the narcosis he collected and gave to Chip at his station there... Chip then sent it to Quality Marine and then it ended up at the DD... no surprise there!

Here's a video their group took... the first ever to show Centropyge boylei and C. narcosis in their natural habitat together...

Copps "

This is off topic but when you go deep sea fishing and you pull a fish up from prety far down are we pretty much killing them even though you have to toss back fish that are under certain sizes?

Yes.

18k for a fish. That is crazy.

Simple economics 101... supply... demand...

Crazy is a relative term... tell any of your non reefer friends what you've spent in this hobby and we'd all be called crazy... :)

Copps

every hobby has it's eccentricities...

ours happen to be exotic fish that are rarely seen tend to be exorbitantly expensive..

just as in the shooting hobby that new gun sights can cost upwards of a thousand dollars..

and as they become more available the prices go down...in both hobbies,lol

I agree that 18k seems obscene. But copps is right, tell out non-reeding friends that we spend 100 on a fish let alone the 2-300 that many if us spend without much of a problem they think we are crazy.

What about the guy who buys the Rolex vs a casio. If you have the means then spend whatever you want on your hobbies.