what is this??

newtoreef

Yep, looks like colonial hydroids (google it and check the first few images.) Read up on killing them. Some say they are difficult to get rid of, some say they go away by themselves. If I were you and they are only one one small rock, I'd take it out and discard it to be safe. Some people even use a blowtorch to burn them off. I've never personally had to deal with them, though.

Edited by Marc Weaver

I agree with Marc, I would try to remove or kill them. If they are only on the one rock and it isn't really big then I would remove the rock and let it dry out to kill them. Then return the rock back to the tank to color up again.

If you want to use a solution you could use an oxidizer like a bleach and water mixture and soak it in that for a day. This will kill anything on/in the rock and also dissolve the organic matter. Give it a good rinse and return it to the tank. The bleach will break down by the next day into harmless water and salt. Placing it in the sun and open to air exchange will speed up the breakdown of the bleach.