Duroso overflows

STEVE

I am in the midst of an "AGGRAVATION SITUATION" LOL I recently upgraded my main pump to a Ehiem 1262 from a RIO 2500. The increase flow has made my overflow noisy. It is a Marineland 90 gal RR . It has 2 bulk heads in the overflow, 1 for the drain and one for the return. I want to make both of them drains. (recently installed a Sea Swirl return, so I dont need 2 returns). My question is how do I make the other one a drain...do I just build another Durso design identical to the main (size and height) or do I make it smaller? It is pretty tight in the overflow, so if I built it smaller, would that be ok?...would that help quite down the main? The same size would be great, just dont know if it will fit. (I think this would also be safer in case the one has an issue.)

I just hope I did not glue the return parts together in the overflow. ( I probably did tho) Then I would need to get a new 1.5 bulk head and do it from scratch. (not something I could do tonight, because I dont have a bulk head) Anyone have one?...

So if I'm correct, the difference between the Herbie and my Durso is I will be adding a pipe that is about 6" below the surface of the water in my overflow along with my Durso and then I will have a Herbie system???...

mine is up and running. as for the way its set up, one pipe is about 5-6" lower than the other. The lower pipe is "tuned" via a gate valve to make that pipe a full siphon. The second higher pipe is the emergency drain. That one should be up close to the teeth of the overflow so that if the main drain starts to clog, all the excess water will go down the emergency drain and the added noise would alert you of the issue.

So if I'm correct, the difference between the Herbie and my Durso is I will be adding a pipe that is about 6" below the surface of the water in my overflow along with my Durso and then I will have a Herbie system???...

the higher pipe has no "durso", just a straight pipe to the sump.

Well....that was easy. I pulled the old "return" 1" PVC out and put a piece of plain 1" with no end on it, just kept it open, and DONE!!! Thanks Eric !

I know a lot of people do it, and do it successfully, but I've not been a fan of restricting and overflow for any reason and always use over sized overflows.

I do believe in having an emergency or redundant overflow. In my case, I run two, two inch, overflows and I could be pushing as much as 2500-3000 gph through my tank though. I run mine through the back glass down to my sump via flexible pvc.

100123_100141.jpg

I modified the set up to mimic a durso.

It's whisper quiet as long as I keep the vent holes on top clear of salt creep. I do attribute some of the quietness to

having very few joints in the outflow plumbing. This stops the splashing noise often heard in gravity plumbing.

It's funny....I left the 3/4 inch old return line on there just to try it and I guess the 3/4 being smaller restricted it just enough :biggrin: . So no Eric no gate valve.

I know a lot of people do it, and do it successfully, but I've not been a fan of restricting and overflow for any reason and always use over sized overflows.

I do believe in having an emergency or redundant overflow. In my case, I run two, two inch, overflows and I could be pushing as much as 2500-3000 gph through my tank though. I run mine through the back glass down to my sump via flexible pvc.

100123_100141.jpg

I modified the set up to mimic a durso.

It's whisper quiet as long as I keep the vent holes on top clear of salt creep. I do attribute some of the quietness to

having very few joints in the outflow plumbing. This stops the splashing noise often heard in gravity plumbing.

Is that a bungee cord?

Is that a bungee cord?

Yes, you like it huh? It's not just any old bungee cord, it's a "safety bungee cord". I use it to make sure some tubes and the fuge light cord don't get caught up when I move the bi-fold doors behind my tank.

overflow.jpg

This is what I came up, works like a champ! Eric (epleeds) gave me the suggestion.

Edited by Origami
[ ] Square brackets, Steve, not angle brackets! Tom

LOL, Dave:biggrin: ....got 2 more halides and ballast...did you see the post?

I am having trouble telling what you did to your drains. The higher one should not have any water unless the lower is clogged. Is the lower 1" and the higher 1.5"?

If it is 1" and you have a 1262 return the odds of it matching a full siphon exactly are almost impossible imo.

Edit, if the lower is 3/4" running full siphon and can't take it all forcing the higher 1" to take some you are asking for a flood. There is no backup drain in this scenerio, and you could have a flood if something clogs one of the drains. An easy fix would be to dial back the 1262 return so the lower pipe can handle the drain on it's own, and the higher would be your backup. 2cents.

Edited by BowieReefer84