New Member/Need help setting up

Guest jamjam_77

Guest jamjam_77

I just signed up as a new member and I am also new to this whole area Im living in Sterling I moved here from Colorado a few months ago.

I was doing some reading at Reef Central when I discovered this site.

I have a 55 gallon setup that I cycled with about 50 lbs of LR for about 7 weeks. It's all cycled now just haven't put in anything beside a couple of hermit crabs. Bottom is still bare.

I have:

2 small powerheads

300 or 350 watt heater

4 x 55W compact fluorescents 2 actinic blues and 2 white

seaclone skimmer (unfortunately I wish I had read reviews on it before I bought it)

404 Fluval canister (Not connected just used it to clean the bottom of the tank)

Now here's my fustration, I came across a 75 gal that someone got rid of, it has a hole at the corner bottom and what appears to be a internal overflow.

So I got to thinking (thats where I went wrong) and decided that I wanted to upgrade. I came across a 75 gallon setup for $325 I only wanted the stand and canopy but the diffrence from not getting the tank was only $10, they also threw in a 10 gal and a tall 20 gallon. So now I have two 75 gallon tanks along with a 55 gallon tank and 2 setups and a couple of small tanks.

So this is what I want to do, I want to use the 75 gallon that already has a hole and add another hole to it since it only has one which I thought was weird. I also want to get a sump/refugium.

I dont know how to set this up, I dont know who drills holes or even what size I needed it to be. I dont know how I should do this sump either or how to do the plumbing, or even what size pumps I'm going to need.

I do know that I wont be needing one of the 75 gallon tanks or the 55 gallon tank/stand/canopy. So I could probably trade or sell them.

I'm becoming fustrated, I've even thought of just going out and buying a new 75 or a 90 gallon reef ready tank, but my quiet wife will soon not be so quiet!!!

She has asked whats up with all the tanks, and my response was "ol don't worry I have this all figured out" which of course is where you guys com in and why I'm here.

Please if anybody could help, or if anybody has any inputs or ideas I'd really appreciate it. I apologize if this thread is too long just want to be clear!!

One last thing how do I pay my membership fee through Paypal?

4 x 55W compact fluorescents 2 actinic blues and 2 white

Depending on what you want to keep over the long term, you'll probably want to upgrade to 96W PCs or metal halides for a 75G tank.

So this is what I want to do, I want to use the 75 gallon that already has a hole and add another hole to it since it only has one which I thought was weird. I also want to get a sump/refugium.

One hole on a 75G is not a problem. You don't really need more than one, unless one gets clogged. :) My 75G just has one overflow... 1.5" -- a 1.5" hole pushes max about 1300GPH which is ample for a 75G.

I dont know how to set this up, I dont know who drills holes or even what size I needed it to be. I dont know how I should do this sump either or how to do the  plumbing, or even what size pumps I'm going to need.

I'm using a Mag 7 in my sump for my 75... seems to work out okay. You could go higher ... say mag 9 with a SCWD or something for movement and decreased water velocity at the return. You'll probably also want to use powerheads for movement and to kill dead spots. I suspect the bottom of your 75G is tempered glass and I don't believe you can drill that.

She has asked whats up with all the tanks, and my response was "ol don't worry I have this all figured out" which of course is where you guys com in and why I'm here.

Well you'll no doubt get PLENTY of advice here :) With a 75G tank and 20G sump you should be in pretty good shape. The rest you can probably sell off after you become a WAMAS member.

I have a 75 in Vienna if you ever want to come by and see my setup. Also if you want some free Xenia coral let me know.

The drilled tank would only have 2 holes if you are plumbing a return through the same overflow. You can easily plumb a return through the overflow itself (if you look in the education forum in a couple of weeks, you can see how I did it on my classroom tank (33 gallon)).

I would use at least a Mag 9 to achieve good flow across your 75 (4' across, right?) or even upgrade to a Mag 12 or a good external pump if you can get your sump drilled. Speaking of which, I would use the 55 you have as a sump or use the 20 as your sump. If you use the 55 as your sump, you'll be able to incorporate the refugium into it. Also, you can use your fluval for chemical filtration (it's nonsense that a lot of people say canister filters are useless, they are really no different from a closed loop system except they have the advantage of being able to incorporate mechanical and chemical filtration).

If you do use this set up, your lights will be great for lighting the refugium. I would also upgrade lights, like Emissary said. I actually might go a step beyond the 96W lights. Get some MH lights over it since I think it's the same footprint as a 55, just taller.

Heater is fine, use the powerheads for circulation. If you get a cheap wavemaker, you can hook them up to the bracing to get waterflow going better and somewhat hiding the powerheads. Your heater is also more than enough, especially since it can go in your sump.

When you do switch your system, just make sure to use RODI water for your extra gallons and you won't have a new cycle (maybe a tiny spike for a day or two, but nothing major). Make sure to switch it all over at the same time. If you're looking for substrate, Sounder has a listing for free sand in one of the sections (I think General Discussion). I took about half a 5 gallon bucket the other day, but he had tons left. Worst case scenario, if it's anaerobic, let it dry out and wash it a bit, then use it later if you want.

Good luck, my wife has been saying the same thing (we went from a 10 gallon fresh water tank that a friend gave me to make up for giving away my 125 reef and all of its inhabitants and equipment, to a 10 and an Eclipse 6 or 12, to a 10, the Eclipse and a 15, to a 10, Eclipse, 15 and 58, to all of those and an empty 300 that will be built into a wall sometime over the next couple of years (oh, and there's two tanks at school, a 15 and a 33). If you need any advice or help, let me know.

Dave

First Welcome to our club.

We will help you to set it up. Now, what you have to think about is, what kind of corals would you like to keep in your tank. The reason being that the corals you wish to keep will dictate what kind of lights set up you will need. Also it will dictate wheter you might need additional equipment or not.

Also

You are welcome to stop by my place and have a look at my tank, and I will be more than happy to talk options with you. I live in Falls Curch. I have a 120 gal which is also 4 ft long, just a little more deep and wide than your 75.

As far as your current tanks, I would keep one of the 75s and keep either the 20 or the 55 as a sump. It all depends of how much space you have available.

JM

Welcome to the club! Good luck setting everything up. When u all all set up and cycled, I would be honored to give you your first FREE frag! Sounds like this is going to be a nice tank.

Psst... Don't tell anyone but the frag is a green florida ricordia ;)

Have a good one!

Chris

Guest jamjam_77

hey thanks all for you'lls advice, makes me feel better at what I'm doing.

So reading from the post looks like I'll be needing better lighting, I want a variety of corals so any recommendations for what type of lights?

As far as the 55 for a sump, I tried to see if it would fit underneath and unfortunately it didn't.

I currently have the 75 gallon w/o the hole setup, I was lucky to find some more LR 47 lbs for $75 2 large nice pieces. I'm trying to sell or trade the 55gal setup. Someone has offered me a large RO/DI unit (4-stage, needs membrance) and MaxiJet 300 double inlet acrylic sump for trade.

RO/DI http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/ro/images/mpdi.gif

sump: http://www.drxu.com/aquarium/IMG_4569.JPG

what do you'll think? any opinions suggestions?

Someone was selling a mag 7 pump for $54 brand new, shall I go with this pump for the sump or shall I go for a mag 9? How much do these pumps normally run for? Just so I can know a good deal when I see one. What other tpes of pumps do you'll suggest or are these the pump of choice?

As far as the holes, It seems I can do it with one. Only reason I thought 2 cause thats all that I had seen at pet stores. I was looking at the glass on the 2 75's and the thickness of the glass on the one with the hole is twice as thick as the other tank w/o the hole. It's also much heavier.

I'm going to leave the setup in the the 75 w/o the hole until I get all the stuff that I need for the sump and stuff. What kind of stuff do I put in the sump?

Emissary, thx for the invite to come check out your tank, get some ideas. I'll definately have to go do that. I'll have to pm you.

143gadgets, I definately would love to have some green florida ricordia. I'll have to pm you as well

thx, keep your inputs coming!

Edited by jamjam_77

JamJam,

Welcome to the site! Where do you live?

I have a 75g system setup in my basement apartment that you could stop in to see for idea's. Been doing SW for about 3 years with numerous years before doing FW.

Go with the 75g and use the 20gallon High tank that you have for sump or up it to a 29g tank for more room AND depending on room under the stand. If your a DIY type of guy, might want to build an enlarge stand and raise the height upto about 3' or more for better viewing (IMHO). This will increase height in stand for larger sump.

Email Chip "Flowerseller" on a recommend RO/DI unit new from Ebay for around $120-150. WELL Worth the investment here, because a ton more efficent then older units, BUT the trade idea can and will work if you decide to go that route!

You mentioned two 75g tanks you still have right? One with a single hole on floor (Setup an overflow with durso drain) and one without. I'm a fan of having multiple holes for overflows in the back of a tank. My 75g has 3 -1" Bulkheads each pushing out 600gph. Two 1 1/2" Bulkheads would work even better with piping running to sump below. Both will work depending on if you want an overflow box or not. Personal choice.

On return pump, I've been a big fan of using the MAG12 for this size tank to create alot of flow into the tank (PREFERRED), quite and will get the job done with using a SCWD for alternating flow from opposite ends of the tank. IMO, MAG7 & 9 are too slow for most corals, BUT will work.

You'll notice a theme here that ALOT of different Ideas will work and again, alot has to do with opinions and each person experiences! :D

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Don't put fish in your tank until your got a set game plan!

Right now, do your best to practice PATIENCE in getting down what you want to do and only then, bring it together. Planning now will keep your hair later :D

Howard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamjam_77

Okay so here's an update, I bought an icecap A4 440w from Algaeman that came w/ 2 brand two new 48" URI super actinic bulbs, and 2 used aqua sun bulbs, i think that's what they are. I ended up buying a 24x12x18 acrylic sump w/mag7 that has 2 holes drilled (heres the link of the pics if you scroll down) . I also got a 6 stage RO/DI filter that I have yet to set up (could possibly use some help).

JMsAquarium explained to me how I could possibly do the plumbing on the return, I went to lowes and picked up a 3/4 pipe and some clear tubes with 3 elbows for the return. I picked up 1'pipe for the down flow since the bulkhead was 1 1/4 wide with some clear tubing as well.

Then I decided to finally do the transfer to the 75 with the hole and overflow, I still had the 55 gall at the time (which I was able to sell btw) so it made it very easy for water space, I used the fluval to suck the water out from the 75 AGA that I had set up, that made it very easy.

So I was happily on way to doing the transfer. Of course my sister and my wife were just looking at me like I was crazy with all these tanks around every where, cracking their jokes about I should have my own fish store with all this stuff <_<. They didn't find it funny when I asked to help pick up the tank though and put it on the stand. This is where i was :o , the tank did not fit into the stand. The stand has like a lil sink in where once the tank is in there it hides the tank trim. So there I am trying to level the tank just to take a look at it. Well it didn't fit.

So after a day or so I started getting them thoughts about just buying a brand new 90gallon RR gallon or a 75 gallon RR tank and sell off all the other tanks. I was able to sell the 55 Setup thankfully. Last night I started thinking what if I just got new trimming for the tank instead since thats what the problem was, the trimming is a lil extra thicker than that of the other 75 gal. So I found out that "thatfishplace" sells them for $15.95 for a regular black, oak was $25. So has anyone ever change out a trim? Well just thought I'd let you'll know where I am.

If anybody has any suggestions or thoughts, or is willing to help out please let me know, I always have beer in the fridge, I still want to go visit some of youlls thanks.

Well....

When I bought my 120 and matchong stand, it did bot fit. So what I did is, instead of changing the trim of the tank, I bought a piece of plywood 1/2 " thick. Cut a big hole, where the piping at the bottom of the tank would be, and put the plywood over the stand, then the tank on top of it. Worked like a charm. ;). Easy and cheaply done.

Guest jamjam_77

Well I ended up taking off the top portion of the stand off. I decided to sand off a little bit of the sides down 1/4 inch. So I finally was able to put the 75RR on the stand last night :D. I tell you it's been a project, and I aint even done yet, hopefully today I'll do the plumbing.

I still have to hook up the RO/DI. I have a question it's a 6 stage unit, can I use it for drinking water as well, if so is there a speacial way that I have to install it?

I have a mag 7 now will it be enough as a return? Or shall I get a mag 9? Or something else? I will have a 1 inch pipe going down to the sump with a 3/4 return.

Can anybody help me or tell me how to do a top off unit.

Guest jamjam_77

I ended up buying a mag 9.5, and I also bought a Euro Reef CS6-2 Skimmer. Everything is installed and running, used a T on the RO/DI right after the DO for drinking water. I ended up buying that pair of Tangs that were for sale, a Purple and a Yellow they seem to be doing good. I have had the tank setup for 3 months now, not the same tank but the same water. All I need now is some corals in there to bring more life to it.