I think we are ready for Coral

Huly

We had our water checked at our LFS today and they said we are good to go. Here are our levels:

Salinity 1.025

Nitrate. 0

Nitrite. 0

PH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Calcium 480

KH 148

Thoughts? Anything particular we should start with?

Edited by Huly

why not start off with what you really want instead of easy beginner corals?

most everything from wamas is at least 3rd generation, so most everything is pretty hardy.

Anemones, Clams, and some SPS need fully seasoned tank water and I'd wait at least a year to say your tank is seasoned.

Edited by zygote2k

why not start off with what you really want instead of easy beginner corals?

most everything from wamas is at least 3rd generation, so most everything is pretty hardy.

Anemones, Clams, and some SPS need fully seasoned tank water and I'd wait at least a year to say your tank is seasoned.

Yeah we love color lol and I know we want SPS and LPS but not sure where to start. We want to get some WAMAS coral over LFS but at the sametime we don't want to get something that our tank is not ready for or our knowledge is not ready for. I do think we are playing it super safe in some aspects but we are trying to do it right. Example we both really want a Mandarin Goby but we know our tank needs to be at least seasoned 6 months and we need a little more knowledge so we are waiting to get it. Make sense?

I have corals in my tank that I had all through the at least a year of very high (sometimes off the chart) nitrate, and not only that, but they grew fast. Primarily montiporas... Orange monti, green monti, Idaho grape monti, and then pocillopora, yellow polyps, hammer coral, and frogspawn. They also went through a couple of drastic temperature spikes and a few fresh water incidents that dropped sg to as low as 1.12, and for a long time I was using straight tap water not RO.

I don't agree about zoanthids - some are much more sensitive than others. Start with ones you know from other folks are very hardy.

Edited by treesprite

I would just list here the exact type of coral you are looking to buy and we will let you know if it's a good idea or not.

LPS and SPS is a little too broad for a new tank. For example you could go with montis and digi which are sps but easy to care for and very colorful. Also with LPS you could try a lot just stay away from an elegance coral for now unless you know it's aussi and has been in captivity a little while.

I would just list here the exact type of coral you are looking to buy and we will let you know if it's a good idea or not.

LPS and SPS is a little too broad for a new tank. For example you could go with montis and digi which are sps but easy to care for and very colorful. Also with LPS you could try a lot just stay away from an elegance coral for now unless you know it's aussi and has been in captivity a little while.

+1. Some chalices and birdsnests are relatively easy and hardy as well.