Black Sand for Saltwater Aquariums

Omair

I know there are various brands of black sand substrate for our saltwater aquariums, but I have been told that some of these brands lose their color over time and become a bland brownish color.

Are there any black sand/substrate that last the test of time?

i saw Vince at quantum reefs with a DT with black sand...you may wanna give him a call...

however it was a new tank ...so i dont think he can comment on the test of time part

I use the indo pacific black/white mix. Its a really nice looking sand, and after 4 years still looks great. BUT...... It will stick to magnets including vortechs. When your wetside falls in it, its a PITA to clean the magnatized black sand off of the magnet. Other than that I couldnt be happier with it.

I use the indo pacific black/white mix. Its a really nice looking sand, and after 4 years still looks great. BUT...... It will stick to magnets including vortechs. When your wetside falls in it, its a PITA to clean the magnatized black sand off of the magnet. Other than that I couldnt be happier with it.

Trock, can you please post a picture of your substrate/tank? :)

Years ago I had Tahitian Moon and it turned gray within a couple of months. I like white sand because it reflects light back up to the corals, while black sand does not.