QT Question

NYfan78

Hey i just bought a small Kole tang and have had him in my QT tank since Sunday. He looks good and all. He does hide in the pipe i have in there more when I am around the tank. he does swim around the tank though. I saw him eat the first day but havent since. He looks good otherwise. How long do I keep him in my QT tank?

Well, it depends...

The "shortest" would be 2-3 weeks after a period of close observation and no anomolies noted.

The "standard" is 6 weeks with no anomolies noted.

The "safest" is 12 weeks (longer than a full life cycle of marine ich), again with no anomolies noted.

What is your risk acceptance?

Is it normal that he hides in the pipe? I tried offering him some dry seaweed and he wouldnt touch it. I know they are algae grazers.

It's normal that there is some stress which frequently causes them to hide. With time they become very bold fish. I have a kole that has never touched nori. Snce they are bristletooth tangs, they feed primarily on film algae or very short hair algae, not leafy or macro algae.

Some learn to eat nori, others, like mine never do. Something you can try is take a piece of PVC pipe and wrap nori around it, then fasten it with a couple of rubber bands so it stays tight against the PVC. If that doesn't work, I doubt anything else will. Is he accepting any other foods (pellet, flake, frozen, etc.)?

Yes, it is kind of normal for it to hide right now. As time goes he will become more comfortable and venture out. You have to realize what he has been through and how different that QT must look compared the reef he came from. It takes them a few days normally to figure out that flat paper like sheet is edible. It doesn't exactly look like natural algae. I would grab some live brine shrimp and feed that also for now. Very few fish turn down live brine shrimp.

As for the duration, it depends on what you are QTing for and what meds you are using, if any at all.

House of tropicals fed him flakes so I am doing that right now. I would liek to convert him to pellets, cus my other fish eat pellets. I only have him in QT to make sure there are no dieseases that get introduced into my DT. Should I keep my lights off or is it ok to turn them on? Also how long do i keep the algae sheet in the tank?

I remove the algae sheet after a day or it starts to go foul. I would leave some lights on so it isn't in the dark but it doesn't need to be bright. Once it is in the tank with other fish and watches them eating the pellets it will pick it quickly.

My QT tank is a 10 gallon with a flouresant strip light. is that ok?

Sounds great!

Keep tabs on water quality in that small tank and make sure you have makeup water to do up to 100% water changes as necessary while you have fish in it.

100% WATER CHANGE? WOW. i KEEP MY DT WATER AS THAT WATER AND USE THAT FOR WATER CHANGES.

Only if required. The issue with QT tanks is they are frequently small with sometimes less than adequate biologic filtration. The easiest way to make sure things continue to go OK is to make sure you have the capability to do a 100% water change if needed as ammonia can become a problem quickly. And go away just as quickly if you keep track of parameters and are prepared to to a water change.

I have a Seachem amonia monitor in the tank so i can always keep track of the Ammonia.

Your filter is fine... the point is it does not have the biological filtration built up like your DT which makes it much easier for ammonia to rise... Ive never heard of those ammonia tests... id rather test the water each day to make sure..and do a partial water change to keep it in check...

i dont understand why there would be a minimum period for 2-3 weeks if the specimen is eating and appears healthy

i just feel a qt is good for observation and if they really are sick after or during the observation period...then u treat them for the qt period of a few weeks

I am very new to doing qt ...but my current regime is to do a dip before entering the qt..fresh water or meth blue...then qt for a day without any meds...allowing the coat to build up...2nd day use prazi pro and let it run the course of 5-7 days...

i have added all healthy specimens into my dt in 5 days...

if it had signs of any kind of internal or external parasite the duration would extend accordingly

so for me personally the minimum qt period would be 5-6 days.

^It's all about one's level of risk acceptance.

Some are willing to accept the risk of a pathogen that isn't currently showing signs entering their system after a few days (minutes?) of observation and others are not. It's a contraversial topic in the hobby that has passionate supporters on both sides.

Really, as long as you understand the pros and cons of each approach, make your own decision, and accept any consequences, others might not agree with you, but you aren't wrong.

^It's all about one's level of risk acceptance.

Some are willing to accept the risk of a pathogen that isn't currently showing signs entering their system after a few days (minutes?) of observation and others are not. It's a contraversial topic in the hobby that has passionate supporters on both sides.

Really, as long as you understand the pros and cons of each approach, make your own decision, and accept any consequences, others might not agree with you, but you aren't wrong.

agreed...i guess your acceptable level of risk may change based on expereinces too...

Yep, and source, and what you are adding, and what you already have, and the system size, and ... and ... and ...

:)