It's "official" - the Chalice from the Palace

LCDRDATA

When my daughter discovered that there was a family of corals called "chalice," and that many of them had names, she couldn't believe this name - the Chalice from the Palace - hadn't been taken. :ohmy: Now, thanks to Vince at Quantum Reefs, it has. :clap: We picked up a frag last night, and she immediately bestowed its new name. +50 cool points (others might say nerd points) to the first one to name the reference (WITHOUT googling it first :tongue:). Pics coming soon, probably this evening! :bluefish:

When my daughter discovered that there was a family of corals called "chalice," and that many of them had names, she couldn't believe this name - the Chalice from the Palace - hadn't been taken. :ohmy: Now, thanks to Vince at Quantum Reefs, it has. :clap: We picked up a frag last night, and she immediately bestowed its new name. +50 cool points (others might say nerd points) to the first one to name the reference (WITHOUT googling it first :tongue:). Pics coming soon, probably this evening! :bluefish:

Nobody??

Anyhow, here are a pair of pictures I took this evening:

gallery_2631918_925_336531.jpggallery_2631918_925_81963.jpg

We only took about 1/4 of the whole piece, so the rest is still at Quantum Reefs (unless it's already sold).

And for those who want to know where the name came from, here's a link to a clip. :laugh: It's about a minute and a half in, but you'll want the context. :lol2:

Is that a cluster of eggs in the first picture? To the right more than half way to the bottom? Did you dip this chalice?Are those brown spots eyes?

Edited by Jan

Is that a cluster of eggs in the first picture? To the right more than half way to the bottom? Did you dip this chalice? Are those brown spots eyes?

What color is it?

I don't think those are eggs; I hadn't noticed that before. I dipped it in Revive after dripping before it went in the tank. I think the spots are the eyes, but I'm not entirely sure as it hasn't opened completely up yet. It's purple, although colors are always challenging trying to get to show up right in a picture. It's in my wife's nano; after my daughter learned that "court jester" is one of the common names for the Rainford Goby my wife has in there, no other choice was possible. :biggrin:

How long were the pics taken apart? It looks like the chalice lost a lot of tissue toward the bottom of the second pic and one of the eyes is dead with white skeleton also in the second pic.

They were taken about ten minutes apart from somewhat different angles. The missing tissue was right at the point where it was fragged, so I think it will be all right once it settles in.

I think what Jan is seeing as eggs are the mesenterial filaments of the coral being expelled. I also see what forrealb50 sees in the second pic as the one eye has the tissue pull back, hopefully that closes in. It's the same eye that the filaments were expelled from.

The dark spots look like the areas where the septa and costae cut through the tissue and are now covered with dark algae. As the coral grows back over those areas the spots will go away.