No. 17

zygote2k

I've been doing much kit bashing when I build each skimmer. I find that some of the parts aren't needed and repurpose others.

The cup drain is better interchanged with the venturi fitting. Both work well in places not meant for either.

I've eliminated the air muffler entirely since I like to be able to audibly check whether or not the skimmer is working. I also have found out that the muffler material tends to get clogged with salt over time. If the salt blocks the air off- volcano time!

I attach the recirc pump directly to the nipple with a small piece of tubing. I'm waiting for the correct size uni-seal for a watertight fit.

I use the clear part of the air silencer to glue into the recirc base. The valve assembly is then held onto this stub with one of the nylon screws drilled through the pipe. Easy on, easy off.

The small air tube is still used to hold the airline tubing. The output of the skimmer drain will be directly attached to the drain box in the sump to completely eliminate splashing. The peg-leg ring is glued directly to the bottom of the sump and the skimmer can fit perfectly in the sump. Makes for very easy removal. Both power cords are zip tied together for convenience.

If anyone needs help building or fine tuning these skimmers, feel free to ask.

gallery_2631654_862_583361.jpggallery_2631654_862_529692.jpggallery_2631654_862_637026.jpggallery_2631654_862_815568.jpg

I use the clear part of the air silencer to glue into the recirc base. The valve assembly is then held onto this stub with one of the nylon screws drilled through the pipe. Easy on, easy off.

Can you post apicture of where you placed the screw? Where did the screw come from, already part of the kit or was it extra.

The peg-leg ring is glued directly to the bottom of the sump and the skimmer can fit perfectly in the sump. Makes for very easy removal.

WOuldn't glueing the ring down might be a problem if you change out the sump or skimmer, or want to re-arrange things in the sump?