carribean reef octopus

MikeDeth

I Have had an octopus for three months now. I dont know the species, age, or sex. Its about 6 inches long. Its healthy and eats well. I dont have the correct set-up for it. im looking to see if anyone is interested in it.

I Have had an octopus for three months now. I dont know the species, age, or sex. Its about 6 inches long. Its healthy and eats well. I dont have the correct set-up for it. im looking to see if anyone is interested in it.

Knowing what kind of escape artists octopi are, if you've kept him for three months something about your set-up is definitely "correct."

(edited)

Octopus briareus, most likely, assuming it was sold as caribbean reef octopus.

My roommate and i had one in the house for about a year. Average lifespan in the wild is actually a bit shorter than one year (they copulate once and die, pretty much).

Can you post a picture/equipment list for your set up?

You should probably just keep it. if you don't have a decent sized tank or arrangement/abundance of live rock, you could always throw a section of 2 or 3" pvc tubing in for him to den in.

Don't jump to the conclusion that you shouldn't keep it before making absolutely certain that it's necessary to move the animal again. As LCDRDATA said, if you've kept it and kept it from escaping for 3 months, you're doing something right.

Besides, octopodes are some of the coolest animals you could ever have in a tank. They are easy to train and teach interesting behaviors to.

P.S. - all the most exhaustive information regarding cephalopods is on TONMO. You can get overwhelmed on there though...

Edited by wogga

Its in a seven gallon fluval edge. the tank has an aqua clear 20 on it. I have compact flourescents for the zoanthids. I dont know how to post pictures yet.

yea! I had a 60 gallon for my old octopus, I thought I could hold this little guy in this tank untill I got my 60 back. but I just found out its going to be a while before that happens.

Sounds like Coral Hind's getting an octopus!

No, just clarifying info to make it easier for someone else to grab it. I would shot a PM to Davelin, he might be interested it.

They are amazing to own. The only problem is that they release ink cloud if spooked. Then you have to do a complete water changes. Hopefully some "expert" reefer here can give it a home. 7 Gal is just too small for it. good luck

It eats emerald crabs, a variety of shrimp, damsels, pretty much everything you put in there except for this striped chromis I have. they get along fine. the chromis has even swam into the octopus' tentacles and he let it go!

The briareus we had was over 48" total legspan and he never pushed up the lid. I'm convinced all that is necessary is a weight over the lid (5 lbs or so for that large a specimen) and no holes smaller than width of the octopus's head, as a rule of thumb.