Need Advice!!!

Cardiak21

So I currently have an egg crate covering for my 72bow to keep fish from getting out. Now I've read that it can keep light out from a few different sources (though it's hard to see a difference with it on). So I'm trying to DIY with 1/4in bird netting. The problem is the BOW part, i can't seem to create a top that has enough structual integrity to stay as one piece. Do you guys have any ideas on how to create a top for a bow tank? Thanks mucho

So I currently have an egg crate covering for my 72bow to keep fish from getting out. Now I've read that it can keep light out from a few different sources (though it's hard to see a difference with it on). So I'm trying to DIY with 1/4in bird netting. The problem is the BOW part, i can't seem to create a top that has enough structual integrity to stay as one piece. Do you guys have any ideas on how to create a top for a bow tank? Thanks mucho

When I've experimented, the light loss with white egg crate is about the same as my glass top, so while it is reducing light it isn't necessarily catastrophic. My suggestion would be to stick with the egg crate for the curved section and make your screen top rectangular. Also, while the 1/4 inch bird netting will work, if you can wait a few days Bulk Reef Supply carries three different sizes of clear screen netting that you may find preferable to the bird netting. Good luck however you go with it.

Have one custom made out of glass. Any glass cutting place can do this. Use the plastic hinge from already MFR one. Someone may have one laying around they want to get rid of.

I think doing the eggcrate and screen combo as LCDRDATA mentioned is good idea. I would worry that the full glass top might limit O2 exchange which is not normally viewed as a good idea for reef tanks.

Also glass tops break sometimes if a light is right on top of them... not fun to find a light in the tank.

One thing with egg crate, is when used the side with the smaller squares should be facing towards the water, which is opposite for any normal light application. Normally, the larger side is facing a room so the light spreads out, but in a tank it should be the other way so the light goes down not out. At least this is what folks in WAMAS have said in the past... (don't blame the messenger is it's wrong or stupid).