BTA split

flooddc

Hi folks,

my BTA just split today. I noticed the smaller one (lets call it "kid") move away for the bigger one (mom). But now it's moving back toward its mom. Will they sting each other?

(edited)

Still, I read somewhere that when bta' split its not because they are happy.

link?

Edited by wogga

Still, I read somewhere that when bta' split its not because they are happy.

I read that from some reefers too. However, it's their personal opinion. I don't see any scientific support of such. IMO, I think they split due to natural chemistry and biological reproduction. How do you suppose "anemone" reproduce in the ocean?

This is an excerpt from Wet Web Media:

Encouraging A RBTA To Split/BTA Reproduction/Propagation 10/29/09

Dear WWM,

< Laura>

I have a beautiful RBTA in my 85 gallon reef tank that is approaching 10" in diameter. She is happy, fat, and not showing any signs of splitting! I really need her to if she is to continue living in the tank.

< Why?>

She is stunning, but I have moved several corals out of her way to accommodate her growth.

Is there any way to encourage her to split? My black and white Ocellaris Clowns are very attached to her.

< Excellent water quality must be maintained. Regular water changes are a must.

Standard marine water parameters with regard to temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia and nitrate must be maintained. Anemones are very delicate creatures, and need to be kept in the best possible conditions.

Keep in mind that when an anemone splits, it doesn't necessarily mean it's happy, it can also be a result of stress.

This is an excerpt from Wet Web Media:

Encouraging A RBTA To Split/BTA Reproduction/Propagation 10/29/09

Dear WWM,

< Laura>

I have a beautiful RBTA in my 85 gallon reef tank that is approaching 10" in diameter. She is happy, fat, and not showing any signs of splitting! I really need her to if she is to continue living in the tank.

< Why?>

She is stunning, but I have moved several corals out of her way to accommodate her growth.

Is there any way to encourage her to split? My black and white Ocellaris Clowns are very attached to her.

< Excellent water quality must be maintained. Regular water changes are a must.

Standard marine water parameters with regard to temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia and nitrate must be maintained. Anemones are very delicate creatures, and need to be kept in the best possible conditions.

Keep in mind that when an anemone splits, it doesn't necessarily mean it's happy, it can also be a result of stress.

Well,

The key words are "doesn't necessarily" (means maybe be happy and may not be happy). It's 50/50. Again it's an opinion.

Anyway, it's way off topic...My only concern is whether they stings each other. Thanks all.