Tang stocking order

Jennylynn9579

I am thinking about the stock list for my upgrade, was thinking about the different tangs and the order they should be introduced. There are a bunch I like but obviously wouldnt be putting all in there. Out of the list, how many and what order would you introduce if you were me. I like :

Purple* must have

Chevron

Yellow

Kole

Sailfin

Hippo or powder blue

White cheek

It's a 150, lots of rockwork and hiding places. Just looking for advice, thanks!!

So many options with all those tangs. I wouldn't do the Sailfin. They get pretty huge. The hippos can get big too but if you buy a tiny 1" one it will take about 2 years for it to hit 5". I would also avoid the white cheek and get a powder brown instead.

If it were me based on what I like from that list, I would go with these 4 in this order.

1. Chevron

2. Hippo

3. Purple Tang

4. Yellow Tang

I am thinking about the stock list for my upgrade, was thinking about the different tangs and the order they should be introduced. There are a bunch I like but obviously wouldnt be putting all in there. Out of the list, how many and what order would you introduce if you were me. I like :

Purple* must have

Chevron

Yellow

Kole

Sailfin

Hippo or powder blue

White cheek

It's a 150, lots of rockwork and hiding places. Just looking for advice, thanks!!

You've got a diverse list with three Zebrasoma tangs in there (the purple, yellow, and sailfin) and then two Acanthurus (white cheek and powder blue). Personally I'd avoid the Chevron as they get somewhat unattractive (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) when they mature, losing the bright coloration. As far as order to stock them, if you were to theoretically add all of them, I'd go with the Sailfin and Kole first. I'd add the Pacific blue/hippo next as it can be aggressive, but is more prone to stress related disease in my experience than the others. You'll have somewhat of a balance at this point and so with the others I'd add them together (the Purple and Yellow first, followed last by the Powder Blue and White Cheek, although I'd consider the Powder Blue last as well).

None of this is set in stone, however, as much of it depends on the individual fish. Powder Blues can be very mean fish.

I think some of you guys might have gotten confused, I never planned to get all of these fish, they're a list of the ones I like, and was looking for advice as far as how many would be good and what order to introduce them. The only one on that list that is a MUST HAVE is the purple. I know the purple and yellow are both zebrasoma, which is why I was concerned about the order they are added, because the yellow is almost a must have for me.

Aquatic obsession, why would you avoid the white cheek, is it because of size? The draw of the white cheek for me was because I LOVE the Achilles, but know that is clearly not an option.

It's so hard to choose between them all, but I think I am leaning towards Kole, Purple, Yellow, Hippo, in that order, and I plan to get them as small as possible. If I have any luck, my husband will love this tank enough to want his own big tank ( he wants an eel, which will NOT go in my tank), and I can then get a couple of the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you think about time frame to add them? I figured I could add them about a month apart, meaning I'd QT the first one, then add it, QT the next for a month, add him, and so on... Is a month too short of a time to allow the tank to catch up to the bio load? I wouldn't be adding anything big between them, only small guys, like a royal gramma, some kind of goby, etc. I already have a pair of ocellaris, flame angel, 1 blue green chromis, red filefish, and a stupid yellowtail damsel that was purchased in a moment of insanity when i first got the tank, but has not been a problem...yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd add the Kole and the Hippo together and then add the yellow and purple together. As long as your filter can handle it, you could even add all 4 together. Don't worry about the yellow tail blue damsel, they are very meek fish in the damsel kingdom - most clowns are tougher than they are.