Algae growth- concerned or not?

bcoop78

As many of you probably know, I am about 3 months into my latest tank. I have quite a few algae species growing away in my tank... On top of that, the Chaeto in my sump is shrinking rather than growing... The diatoms came and went, followed by green algae, and now a bit of cyano. I know that this is all part of a tank maturing, and I've been doing small weekly water changes. Should I be concerned? Should I implement a GFO reactor? Wait it out? What is recommended? Everything in my tank seems to be doing well. I am about to test parameters and will post shortly.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you are taking your time and letting things take their course. Chaeto will only grow if it has nutrients to support it. Given that your tank is new (and presumably empty) there isn't anything for it to feed on. The other algae all sounds like normal progression to me. If you want, you can siphon out the cyano during your water changes. The easiest way to get rid of it is to just leave the lights off for 72 hours.

I'm a big fan of not adding any additional reactors, etc unless they are absolutely needed. A good example is a calcium reactor, absolutely needed if you have a heavy need for calcium.

(edited)

Thanks guys... My tank is not empty however... Here is my stock list:

2 occ clowns. (1) 1" and (1) 2"

1 Niger Trigger 4" including tail

Lobo coral

Zoas

2 favia

Hammer

Frogspawn

Ricordea

Purple monti cap

Green Birdsnest

RBTA

CUC

Here are my Parameters following last nights WC:

Alk 7.56dKh

Salinity 1.025

Calcium >600

Nitrate 0.5ppm

Temp 77.8

PH 7.84

Phosphate .02ppm

Full tank shot to show algae:

6c1ce736-16dd-e2fb.jpg

Thanks again!

Edited by bcoop78

That's more than I would have stocked (fish-wise) in that amount of time. Take that with a grain of salt because I am VERY conservative in that regard.

If you are getting positive tests for phosphates, you've got a nutrient problem. The problem with phosphates is that the level you read on the test is actually lower than the real level in your tank. Algae is so effective at pulling it out, you could read 0 and still have an outbreak. I'd recommend you start doing larger and/or more frequent water changes.

How big is the tank, how much LR, how much LS? Are you doing anything other than water changes for nutrient export?

Thanks for your help! The total system volume is 90 gallons. The display has about 80lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand, and the sump has 20 lbs live sand and 10 lbs live rock. Nutrient export is via a Vertex IN-180 skimmer and an Avast MR-5 reactor running carbon (1 cup) which is changed monthly. I feed once daily alternating between pellets and frozen spirulina brine shrimp. I feed the anemone once a week a piece of thawed raw fish.

That's interesting that you would have such high nutrient levels then... I can only think of two likely causes:

1. The tank is not mature enough for the number of inhabitants. You need to do more water changes to supplement.

2. You are overfeeding and there is a large amount of waste that is just decaying in the tank. I would cut back your feeding. I only feed my tank once a week and I have fish that have been in there for years.

That's interesting that you would have such high nutrient levels then... I can only think of two likely causes:

1. The tank is not mature enough for the number of inhabitants. You need to do more water changes to supplement.

2. You are overfeeding and there is a large amount of waste that is just decaying in the tank. I would cut back your feeding. I only feed my tank once a week and I have fish that have been in there for years.

I worry that my fish don't get enough food. How can I determine whether or not I am starving them? I know the trigger needs a good amount of food, and I feed him from the turkey baster in an effort to only give him as much as he will consume. Once a week is frequent enough?

(edited)

Just my $0.02.

I think that nuisance algae can outcompete chaeto for nutrients (hence the name nuisance). Chaeto is great to maintain already low nutrient levels, but it seems like people have mixed results when using chaeto to bring down high nutrients.

I think (though it is a huge pain in the butt) one has to make every effort to siphon or pull the nuisance algae out. When you have a clump of hair algae or cyano in the toilet -- that is nutrient export.

I cannot see your CUC in the pic. If you want to feed a lot, then have a large diverse CUC -- snails, hermits, a brittle star, shrimp and maybe a cucumber. Also, buy some amphipods which are great detritovours and get deep into the sand (pods don't usually exist in new setups).

Once your nitrates are down, then worry about GFO for phosphates.

The tank looks good BTW. When the algae disappears it is gonna look fantastic.

Edited by jaddc

You listed a cuc in your stock list, what does it consist of?

5 cerith snails

10 nassarius snails

3 turbo snails

5 margarita snails

10 tiny blue-leg hermits

I suspected as much, your crew isn't big enough to keep up with your feeding habits.

Take a look at this quick cuc from ReefCleanrs.org that is better suited for a tank the size of yours.

oh wow... you are right!!

I agree with all of the advice you got. Feeding your fish even twice a week is better. I've never fed daily.

I thought I misread that in your earlier post. Really? What do you feed when you actually do feed? How many fish do you have?

I thought I misread that in your earlier post. Really? What do you feed when you actually do feed? How many fish do you have?

Nope. I only feed once a week and have for 5 years. I mix it up a bit between two different varieties of Rod's and PE Mysis. I do put in Nori daily for my Kole.

I just ordered the CUC you showed me from ReefCleaners. I will cut back on feeding and increase the volume of my water changes. I simply cannot do more than one change per week... Thanks all for your help..:-)

question on the 72hr lights outs to reduce the cyano. how will this effect the corals in the tank. can they survive that long with out light. will there be any regression or shrinkage?

The corals would be OK. Many of them can last a week without lights.

The idea is that the fast growers require a lot more light energy to keep up their fast pace. IME, the lights out trick only works if you pull out the algae aggressively (re: my earlier post). Having the lights outs in the DT for a period, but on in the refugium with Chaeto gives the Chaeto a chance to ramp up growth while giving you a chance to pull as much nuisance algae as you can.