Question for the LFS

Vadim

my heater exploded in the tank, most fish accept for 3 so far have died, i've made saltwater. But i need bio spira or dr tims. Any of you guys have it? i've called 3 stores 2 in rockville and 1 in gaithersburg and all sold out. ugh frustrating.

my heater exploded in the tank, most fish accept for 3 so far have died, i've made saltwater. But i need bio spira or dr tims. Any of you guys have it? i've called 3 stores 2 in rockville and 1 in gaithersburg and all sold out. ugh frustrating.

I think petco has bio spira.

No idea what those are but you'll want to run some heavy carbon and perhaps something to get rid of the heavy metals that have infiltrated your system. Even with a water change you'll want to filter the water.

... and perhaps something to get rid of the heavy metals that have infiltrated your system. Even with a water change you'll want to filter the water.

If there's the possibility of heavy metals (copper, lead, whatever) from this accident, then you need to do a very large water change (100%?) and run a poly-filter asap.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filter_Filter_Pad_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html

Our local stores may stock a poly filter, too.

I'd be less concerned with adding bacteria-in-a-bottle like Bio-Spira or Dr. Tim's and more concerned with getting the metal out now. You may consider acid-etching your rock and tossing your sand if there's concern that metal has leeched into your system and is bound to rock and sand surfaces. Of course, after taking these steps, you may find cycling to be easier with something like bio-spira.

Sorry for the mishap. What kind of heater was it?

it was a stealth heater. thanks guys for the advice. i did a 70% water change after i've taken out all the rock and most of the sand out. my system started cycling so i added bio spira. all the snails i got died, and 2 of my prized fish died. very sad. i do have some heavy filtration on the system right now. so i've got 3 lonely fish left. no more zoas either. heartbroken. i guess it's back to square one pretty much. again guys thanks for the advice. greatly appreciated.

Stealth Pro? They had a top on them that had a light in it, unlike the original stealth heater which didn't have any indication that it was on (except that it got warm). The Stealth Pro, along with all Stealth heaters were recalled more than a year ago. The Stealth Pro heaters had a record of their tops leaking and the heater blowing up. You're not the first in this club to have this problem. I'm sorry that you didn't know about the recall.

Biodigest will also work for tank startup.