building 2x 50w LED 20k

taiscici

I got some RB LEDs currently in the systerm. I was hopping to replace 2 150 MH with this built. According to the thread it only cost about $110 per 50W LED so I'm excite to see the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the leds from China this morning. Hooked them up and i got to say they look pretty sweet.

current LEDs set up

4 moonlight

36 Cree XP-E Royal Blue

16 Cree XM-L T6 White around 8000k

2 50w Chinese Multichip

Total power 260W

here is the picture of the Multichip LED

IMG_1625

here is the picture of the tank with all Royal Blue

IMG_1631 - Copy

here is the picture of the tank with Royal Blue and 2 50W multichip 20K

IMG_1633

here is the picture of the tank with all lights running maximum

IMG_1636

(edited)

what size tank is it? do you think just 2-50W and RB is enough? would you need the XML?

Edited by hlem

what size tank is it? do you think just 2-50W and RB is enough? would you need the XML?

My tank is 150. It depends what type of corals you have, if it lps and soft corals 2 50w should be enough. If you have sps you would need xml or you could go with 2 100w chip running at max.

You"re welcome. By the way the 100w chip iis actually 100 leds at 2.5w each so if running max it"s total power is 250w. Pretty sweet if you need powerful lights for sps.

do you have the specs for the LED? i want to compare if i was to use 50-1W. cause with the 1W, i can add in red/green/uv in a string. where are you located, would love to come by and take a look, if you dont mind.

Here is the specs.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280868080295&cmd=VIDESC&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=79129148522

If you use 50-1w then you would have to solder 50 LEDs and it"s a PITA. If you go with 50w multichip you still can add green, red or UV around the multi chip, just make sure to buy bigger heatshink.

I am located in Leesburg and you"re welcome to come check it out.

Here is the specs.

http://item.mobilewe...nid=79129148522

If you use 50-1w then you would have to solder 50 LEDs and it"s a PITA. If you go with 50w multichip you still can add green, red or UV around the multi chip, just make sure to buy bigger heatshink.

I am located in Leesburg and you"re welcome to come check it out.

definite right about soldering 50-1W. i'll send you a PM when i have some time to drop by, mainly weekend. thanks again

Here is the total cost.

50w led chip- $25 ebay

Driver - $34 rapid led

Heat sink - $20 newegg

Total - $79

This light equal to 150w MH but using less energy and not much heat.

Here is the total cost.

50w led chip- $25 ebay

Driver - $34 rapid led

Heat sink - $20 newegg

Total - $79

This light equal to 150w MH but using less energy and not much heat.

you built 2. is this price per unit?

Wow i love this. What are your tank dimensions. Also great job and info. One question can you have day night simulation is needed?

Wow i love this. What are your tank dimensions. Also great job and info. One question can you have day night simulation is needed?

I have 150g tank dimension is 48x24 29h. Yes you can hook it up to a controller such as dim4 controller (cost about $84) and it will automatically creates sunrise and sunset effect. This is my next project as soon as I have the money :-)

nice thanks i think i will go your route. I see its way cheaper and good product.

I did see Flickr links above as I"m unable to post images here. I will post more pics when I set up dimm4 controller. Good luck on your built, make sure to share your pictures and experience with us.

I just read the DIM4 manual... definite the route I am heading as well. controlling 4 strings of LEDs for 84$. no bad at all.

I have built a couple versions using 100w SMDs and also warmer 3w ones. The 100w ones are crazy bright! 3w full power are also bright as well, but obviously aren't concentrated. They run hot as well

However I think the taotronics one is a hard to beat. It's much more wife friendly.

(edited)

just saw this today, and its probably the best DIY and easy LED i've seen so far. the 20000k color in combination with the royal blue is very easy on the eye while keeping all the pop... and not too yellow/white or anything, just simply perfect color. i'm already ebaying these leds :clap:

to anyone who's thinking of going LED, check out this LEDs and save a TON of money....

Edited by hlem

just saw this today, and its probably the best DIY and easy LED i've seen so far. the 20000k color in combination with the royal blue is very easy on the eye while keeping all the pop... and not too yellow/white or anything, just simply perfect color. i'm already ebaying these leds :clap:

to anyone who's thinking of going LED, check out this LEDs and save a TON of money....

It was nice talking to you today Ha. Good luck on your built, and make sure to update us with pictures.

It was nice talking to you today Ha. Good luck on your built, and make sure to update us with pictures.

i'll start a thread when i am ready. but i'll be a month or 2 before i start :(

(edited)

I got a par meter from BRK this morning and decided to see how bright is my LEDs are just for fun. So here it is.

This measurement with all LEDs running 36 RB, 16 XML cool white (with 90 degree lenses), 2 50W 20K. The 50w are without lenses so i think i can get extra par on the bottom if i install 90 or 60 degree lenses. I'll measure the 50W alone tonight when the XMLs go off.

top of the tank about 25% on top. par 648

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh525/taiscici/IMG_1656.jpg

middle of the tank about 50%. par 455

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh525/taiscici/IMG_1654.jpg

lower of the tank on the sand. par 147

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh525/taiscici/IMG_1655.jpg

Edited by taiscici