New in Wall set-up

Guest reeffoto

Guest reeffoto
I am in the process of setting up a 150 gallon reef into the wall and would like some input as whether or not all of it will work or is a good idea or not.  The 150 has 3 11/2" bulkheads.  What I would like to do is also install in the wall 2 20 gallon tanks on each side of the 150 and have an overflow go into each 20 gallon tank and the overflow from there into 30 gallon tubs which will be tied into and other tub (total of 3 tubs) that will have the skimmer heater ect.  as well as the return back to the 150.  My worry is that there will be to much current into the 20 gallons or if I restrict it not enough for the 150.  I am also going to put a closed loop on the 150 using a mag 12 at 0 head pressure except for the elbows so I guess a 2' head.  If this isn't a good idea I will just have each 20 gallon go into the sump with it's own return pump.  Just trying to limit the number of return pumps.  Thanks for any input or ideas.

Ward, these are my personal opinions and observations.

1. The in Wall set ups are nice but only thing I don't like is there is no access from the front. Something to think about. I know that defeats the whole purpose of having it in the wall but still a BIG negative for me.

2. I don't see the need for three different tanks for sump. I would rather have one big one like maybe a 55 or a 75 and house the heaters and the skimmer. Sounds too cumbersome to me with all those tanks. Use two bulkheads for overflow and use the other one for the main return.

3. If you have only one sump then, you would only need one return pump. Get something like a AM3000, Iwaki70 or 100 for main return and you would have the mag 12 for the close loop.

HTH

Guest reeffoto
The reason for the multipulesumps is that they can fit underneather the stand (the stand is up on blocks so the middle of the tank is at eye level.  I can reach the front bottom of the tank from the back.  I wanted to do it the came way as I did my 180 with access in the front but wife said no.  One of the 20 gallon tanks mounted in the wall is for seahorses, not sure what I will put in the other,  wife wants a minitnus grouper but that is just to small of a tank and she understands that.  I might just go with 2 sumps tied in together.

Guest reeffoto
I did that before.  I just want to do it different this time.  My question though is will it work overflowing out of the 150 into the 2 20 gallon tanks and then into the sump.

You might want to split it off and use valves to control how much goes into those 20's.  You will probably be running a fair amount of flow.

Guest tgallo
sure it will work but your potential for overflow disaster as in clogging up will double.

On my return I use a 1260gph pump which is too much for my 1 1/2" durso to 1" return plumbing.  I tee-d off of my return and have two ball valves to control the flow to both my display tank and refuge.  I think this type of thing has already been mentioned, but that is how I control my excess flow on my return.  Gate valves would have been nice, I wish Lowes or HD would add them to the list.  I did this on purpose btw with my best guess being about 200 gph to my fuge and about 600gph on my return.

I guess what I'm thinking would be two overflows... both t-d off going to a 20 gallon with some sort of valve for control and then then have a sum total of four overflows going into your sump once.  LOL, sounds complicated.  Of course that would allow you one return pump.  With all of this in mind you would want enough excess in your sump to handle the three tanks if the power goes out... just thinking out loud.    

Mine is an inwall tank too... my only drawback is space since it is viewable from both sides and access from one side only.  I also have to use a step ladder to work on mine since it is up pretty high.  Otherwise I love it.