sliding tank

daharley

Got a good amount of water on the floor and we are gonna pull the carpet up and put down tile. I was thinking of building a temporary stand draining half the water and sliding my tank from one stand to the other and back. This will also allow me to move my Sump for better access. It is a 220 gallon tank. My question is can this work and is there anything I should know before I try this. Appreciate any help.

dont think so

the tank is 200#

sand: 200#?

rocks: 200# +

1/2 water: 100 gallons x 8.5 850#

That is 1400# minimum. Glass tanks are no good and supporting shifting loads. If it donesn't break that day, you will bust a silicone seam and it will leak in a few weeks. This is, if you can move the weight of a car that isn't on wheels... I dunno how you would do that.

Drain it dry, take out the fish, coral and rocks. Then move the tank and sand (undisturbed) and cross your fingers.

good luck

Edited by Grav

You can do what you propose, but it is extremely difficult and complicated. It will be very much like moving a house. You'll have to keep the top of the stand under the tank and use a hoist with at least 3 supporting straps under the bottom of the tank and pick it straight up, then you'll have to move the whole assembly very slowly left or right to the other stand. If you've ever seen a boat hoist in operation, then you'll know what I am talking about. I've actually seen a huge tank moved this way once, but since yours is so small, you may as well drain it completely before moving it.

dont think so

the tank is 200#

sand: 200#?

rocks: 200# +

1/2 water: 100 gallons x 8.5 850#

That is 1400# minimum. Glass tanks are no good and supporting shifting loads. If it donesn't break that day, you will bust a silicone seam and it will leak in a few weeks. This is, if you can move the weight of a car that isn't on wheels... I dunno how you would do that.

Drain it dry, take out the fish, coral and rocks. Then move the tank and sand (undisturbed) and cross your fingers.

good luck

Don't know how to say it better.

Every tank failure that I have personally seen except one (around 6, and that 1 was cause by me being stupid and accidentally hitting it with a cane, but I digress) has been caused by moving it with water in it.