Glass top required for MH?

spankna

I just recently picked up a Sunpod and while looking for replacement LED transformers, I stumbled upon this.

www.current-usa.com/files/SunpodFAQs.pdf

Last question/answer says that Current USA recommends a glass top under the sunpod. Should I put my glass top back on?

The only glass you should need would be the glass shields that cover the bulbs to keep UV rays out. They probably just put that for liability reasons. An unvented glass cover over your tank will inhibit gas exchange and make your tank run warmer and is not recommended.

I think they put that warning there to keep the light from falling into the water if it becomes loose somehow. That's one of the risks we all take when mixing electricity with water, though. If you are worried about that you can use eggcrate on the top of your tank, but it may warp from the heat.

I was more worried about excess UVs. The fixture has the factory glass sheild. I am new to Mh's and my concern came from some new sps that has slowly decreased polyp extension since purchase. Thought I might be burning them up with UVs.

the factory glass shield blocks uv. you put the top on there to prevent the light from going into the water if it falls and to protect the light from splashing. don't put eggcrate near a mh- it will melt if it's too close and may even cause a fire or release toxic melty plastic fumes into the room. your sps might be burnt because the light is too close. imho, the light should be at least 8" above the surface of the water.

I will measure my height above the water surface tonight. I'm guessing I am 7-9 inches above the water line. I also moved the corals down to around 15inches below the water line to better acclimate them to the light. The polyps are out much more when the moonlight is on.