Acrylic vs Glass Tank - Good Area Designers?

dcf10

Hi,

I'm new to WAMAS and new to the hobby. We're planning to put a reef tank into our wall, but the maximum width is 10" and length is 55-60" - we'd like it about 24" tall. A couple of questions - could we do a bow front tank, understanding that there would be 10" of support all the way across, but not below the part that bows out? If so, would we have to do glass, or could we do acrylic? Is one a better material than the other for this kind of installation? Finally, are there good custom tank builders in the area that folks would recommend? Thanks!

When you say max width is 10" do you mean the front-to-back distance is 10 inches? making it narrower than a 55 gallon (13 inches front to back)? If this is correct, I would recommend rethinking placing it in the wall or at least placing it entirely within the wall. The cost of building the tank you have spec'd out just won't be worth it IMO. See what you could do with something commercially available in a 60" length and about 18" front to back. That will provide much better depth which is visually more appealing, will allow for better aquascaping, and more areas for the fish to swim and hide.

I do mean that the maximum front-to-back distance of the support underneath the tank is 10" - that is the width of the wall that it is going in, and we are planning for it to be built entirely within the wall. This is why I am asking about a bow-front tank, which could be a bit wider at the maximum, but I am not sure whether it would need support underneath the bowed section of the tank (i.e., the part that is wider than 10"). I read that acrylic tanks need to be supported entirely from below, but wondered if the bowed section could be unsupported, or if a glass bow-front tank would work. We're doing mostly soft coral, anemones, lost of cleaning crew members, with maybe 5 small fish. We figure we'll need a custom-built tank and are looking for any suggestions on good manufacturers and/or area designers. Thanks!

Have any pictures of the wall? or drawings of what you're planning? It might help us to help you.

Is this going to be able to be viewed from both sides? can you support half of a larger tank on the other side of the wall? What are you doing for plumbing/lights/etc.?

Like Brian said 10" is an incredibly small width to work with, especially for corals, nems and any aquascaping plans at all.

cool-hanging-fish-tanks.jpg

It is a pretty tough design challenge you are looking at that is pretty restrictive in terms of equipment and livestock. I would probably get a consult on it. Locally, reef escape (sponsor) would be my recommendation on who to contact with what you are thinking.

Wow, Chad, that's amazing. And pretty much up our alley, since the house is really modern in design. I don't have pictures of the wall, because we're building it (somewhat) to suit the aquarium, with the main design limitations being that it can't be longer than 60" and the width of the wall is 10". On one side is the new rec room, on the other side is half stairwell and half an understair closet, where we plan to have a sump system and fortunately have access to water, so could pretty easily install an RO/DI system. So you'll see the aquarium from both sides, but about half of it will be going into the closet and so it's okay if some of the hoses, etc. are visible on that portion.

We're in Alexandria, by the way. There's a company that makes custom acrylic tanks as narrow as 8" (http://walltanks.com/tank_4.php), but if we thought that on the rec room side, since we have room for a bow front, it'd be better to do that and get more space/better flow. But we aren't sure if we'd then have to support the front of the bow, which we wouldn't be able to do. It'd be nice to work with someone local.

For the size you're looking for, you can do acrylic or glass. Both need to be fully supported along all the edges (so bowfront needs a support that matches the bow of the tank) but acrylic requires the entire bottom to be supported rather than just the vertical edges. NAGA is a vendor here on the board, located in Annapolis, that does good work. I recommend sending him a PM. Since you want it to be viewable on both sides, you will definitely need a custom tank.

I would do glass. I have no idea what/if you can cantilever glass.........but there is cleaning. With a tank that narrow about the only way to have any aquascape & still be able to clean it would be with a scraper (razor blade?) There is no effective "on a stick" method for cleaning acrylic. That means your hand & a pad or somesort in the tank.....that's 3 - 4" and where two sides are viewable that's 6 - 8 of 10" gone. Yep, you can think "my hand is only x" thick....but it ain't happening.....you need a bit more.

Glass you can scrape with a razor on a stick.

I'd choose glass.

(edited)

Seeing as you are new to the hobby, why don't you start out with a standard tank on a stand and go from there? Take it slow and learn what you are doing. You will re-think your stance on the thin wall tank for a saltwater tank. Is there a room behind the wall you want the tank installed in? You could build a stand behind the wall to hold the tank and just frame the tank in. Up to you, but a tank that size won't support much in the way of livestock. You'd be stuck to mostly nano sized livestock in a tiny inwall tank. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Doesn't seem logical in the long run.

Edited by Amuze