AI nano or Kessil A150W?

russell_wiley

I don't know much about the Kessil, but I have AI Sols and hate them. I really dislike the washed out color, and my SPS really reacted badly to the change in spectrum. There is another member on the board here that had to give up on his AI an go back to metal halide (with very positive results). Others don't mind the AI colors and LPS seem to do OK. I would go with an LED that has a wide variety of spectrum. It really does matter to the corals.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the Maxspect Mazarra P Series. I've only had mine a month so far but corals seem to be doing well and coloring up nicely. I'd think a single unit would do the trick for your tank. They also just announced a new fixture coming out later this year (Here).

Edited by CaptainRon

For a 9" tall tank, I would go with the Kessil. I've seen the A150 15K on a biocube. It looked great and I was surprised by the colors of the corals. I don't have any experience with the AI nano but it is just a combination of cool white, blue, and royal blue Crees. I have a DIY unit running those and the coloration of the Kessil looked much better to me especially SPS colors. True that the AI unit has a controller so you can change the spectrum and PAR would be much better on the AI nano but for a 9" tank, PAR wouldn't be an issue for me with those 2 lights.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Kessil A150W Deep Blues in yesterday. Trying one of them on my 14g Biocube before going to my new 40g Breeder. I must say I'm loving the shimmer but it's very blue and bright.

oh you better post up pics of the kessils....seem very tempting

pics of the light themselves and the tank please

DIY is another option, rapid LED or whoever has some pretty easy kits, just get a few different colors.....

I'm embarrassed to post pics. I don't have much in my 14g anymore. Maybe a few brown zoos, bubble algae, pair of fish...basically no eye candy. You can say it bit the dust when I was away on/off for a few months, ballasts died, and tried to survive after the move to my new house with old PC Lighting. Starting over and glad my wife suggested to go get a bigger tank in our new house and a bigger budget.

Edited by killrblue

no worries man, i just wanna see someone local take pics of the actual lights they have in their posession.. even if nothing in the tank we can still get a sense for the color of the lights.

this is also a good place to get some eye candy if your looking hehe