Reef Safe?

.OptimusPrime.

Is this flexible pvc coupling reef safe?? I don't really need the SS clamps, but if they are ok i'd prefer to keep.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100055392/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hernco&storeId=10051

I need to extend the return portion of the HOB refugium in my sump to below water level to reduce the falling noise and this is the only thing I have been able to find to connect that lets me do so.

My other option is placing a filter sock on the return before it hits the water. Will pods and such get stuck in the sock

.............My other option is placing a filter sock on the return before it hits the water. Will pods and such get stuck in the sock

I'll let others answer the 1st part as I can't say for certain.

Will they? Yes. When I change out the socks I turn them inside out & look for pods in the seams - just put them in the tank.

Just thinking a bit - what is the return you need to extend? Is there a reason you can't use some PVC? (i.e. sch 40, flex, tubing)

Edited by ErikS

the SS clamps will rust... and ive never used the "flexible" pvc pieces in my tank but i have used them in apartments and they have a rubbery smell so id say NO as to reef safe because even after years of being in a wall they still have that smell....

(edited)

I'll let others answer the 1st part as I can't say for certain.

Will they? Yes. When I change out the socks I turn them inside out & look for pods in the seams - just put them in the tank.

Just thinking a bit - what is the return you need to extend? Is there a reason you can't use some PVC? (i.e. sch 40, flex, tubing)

Here is a picture of the back...

https://thecompletereef.com/shop/system/detailimage?sessid=PrAHQIgE8mIbwV2EDjXfCVqz757F3EwghGnAMwLvaWkLcMvEW0b9jYFLpFzyszSP&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3DCR1721%26position%3Dposition1%26

I can't use any kind of hard pvc without using that specific coupling. I've checked the hardware store unless I missed it. There was nothing in hard PVC that would fit over the return portion. It was either too big (1.5") or too small (1.25"). Only the 1.25" flex coupling worked.

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

I can't use any kind of hard pvc without using that specific coupling. I've checked the hardware store unless I missed it. There was nothing in hard PVC that would fit over the return portion. It was either too big (1.5") or too small (1.25"). Only the 1.25" flex coupling worked.

So I'm assuming the OD of the pipe in question is over 1.360" (avg 1.25 Sch 40 ID)? What about tubing? HD carry anything larger than 1"? If they have 1.25 (& the flex works) you should be able to heat (hot water) & get it over the end.

Also you can always wrap a mega-butt-load of teflon tape around it & jam the 1.5" - it's not a pressure line, should work fine (*cough* done it *cough*)

I would guess no on reef safe for the following reasons

They list in the description

Flexible PVC material resists chemicals, UV rays and fungus growth

Which tells me they have impregnated the pvc with fungicide

Ideal for sealing sewer, drain, waste and vent piping

Since it is lised for waste piping but not recomended for use in potable or consumable waters that tells me there may be issues. I would not risk it myself

Mike

Fernco's rubber couplings are safe for the reef tank. This topic came up recently in the thread below. http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/48800-in-line-carbon-filter/page__view__findpost__p__408899

The couplings are made from PVC which is safe and they resist acids and salts.

http://www.fernco.com/technical/materials/acid-resist-chart